Definition of genteel:
- Graceful in mien or form; elegant in appearance, dress, or manner; as, the lady has a genteel person. Law.
- Possessing or exhibiting the qualities popularly regarded as belonging to high birth and breeding; free from vulgarity, or lowness of taste or behavior; adapted to a refined or cultivated taste; polite; well- bred; as, genteel company, manners, address.
- Suited to the position of lady or a gentleman; as, to live in a genteel allowance.
prissy, cultured, elegant, prim, imitative, mannered, conventional, gracious, urbane, prudish, genuine, plain, polite, obliging, precise, stuffy, polished, puritanical, Victorian, mannerly, refined, courtesy, courtly, proper, well-bred, well-behaved, civilized, priggish, formal, courteous, hollow, bluenosed, old-maidish, pretentious, mincing, mannerly, artificial, affected, accomplished, cultivated, civil, well-mannered, honest, strait-laced, complaisant, civilised.
- "An Alabaster Box", Mary E. Wilkins Freeman and Florence Morse Kingsley.
- "Jane Cable", George Barr McCutcheon.
- "Around the World with Josiah Allen's Wife", Marietta Holley.