Definition of gentle:
- A compellative of respect, consideration, or conciliation; as, gentle reader.
- A dipterous larva used as fish bait.
- A trained falcon. See Falcon- gentil.
- Not wild, turbulent, or refractory; quiet and docile; tame; peaceable; as, a gentle horse.
- One well born; a gentleman.
- Quiet and refined in manners; not rough, harsh, or stern; mild; meek; bland; amiable; tender; as, a gentle nature, temper, or disposition; a gentle manner; a gentle address; a gentle voice.
- Soft; not violent or rough; not strong, loud, or disturbing; easy; soothing; pacific; as, a gentle touch; a gentle gallop .
- To make genteel; to raise from the vulgar; to ennoble.
- To make kind and docile, as a horse.
- To make smooth, cozy, or agreeable.
- Well- born; of a good family or respectable birth, though not noble.
agreeable, low-spirited, mild, dispirited, risque, palliate, make up, comfortable, engaging, lenify, indulgent, sorry, bluish, docile, puritanical, sonant, savage, dingy, depressed, blasphemous, wild, mollify, quell, down, considerate, title, spicy, ennoble, promiscuous, refined, pleasing, diffused, easygoing, gamy, profane, low, lovely, tenderhearted, wanton, entitle, gradual, dreary, cultivated, faint, noble, winning, loving, pleasant, dismal, downhearted, winsome, reconcile, educated, puritanic, highbred, softhearted, strong, tame, attractive, downcast, conciliate, flaccid, drear, season, dark, drab, trained, patch up, benignant, well-fixed, temper, light, allay, grim, voiced, naughty, diffuse, civilized, piano, well-off, slight, aristocratic, tamed, blue-blooded, sluttish, appease, sensitive, settle, balmy, well-to-do, wild, accommodate, assuage, gamey, kind, gloomy, loose, down in the mouth, dignify, patrician, racy, stay, quench, lovable, cushy, pacify, soft, gruntle, flabby, well-heeled, smooth, aristocratical, easy, teachable, slake, well-situated, domesticated, harming, propitiate, disconsolate, blueish, rise, taught, leisurely, broken, alleviate, juicy, relieve, placate, prosperous, blue, good-natured.
- gradual (part of speech: adjective)
- effeminate (part of speech: adjective)
- mild (part of speech: adjective)
- moderate (part of speech: adjective)
- soft (part of speech: adjective)
- "Slain By The Doones", R. D. Blackmore.
- "The Madman and the Pirate", R.M. Ballantyne.
- "Household Tales by Brothers Grimm", Grimm Brothers.