Definition of gill:
- A leech.
- A measure of capacity, containing one fourth of a pint.
- A two- wheeled frame for transporting timber.
- A woody glen; a narrow valley containing a stream.
- A young woman; a sweetheart; a flirting or wanton girl.
- An organ for aquatic respiration; a branchia.
- Malt liquor medicated with ground ivy.
- One of the combs of closely ranged steel pins which divide the ribbons of flax fiber or wool into fewer parallel filaments.
- The flesh under or about the chin.
- The fleshy flap that hangs below the beak of a fowl; a wattle.
- The ground ivy ( Nepeta Glechoma); - called also gill over the ground, and other like names.
- The radiating, gill- shaped plates forming the under surface of a mushroom.
- "Narrative of a Voyage to the Northwest Coast of America in the years 1811, 1812, 1813, and 1814 or the First American Settlement on the Pacific", Gabriel Franchere.
- "The Eagle's Heart", Hamlin Garland.
- "The Patchwork Girl of Oz", L. Frank Baum.