Definition of give :
1. To afford a view of; as, his window gave the park.
2. To allow or admit by way of supposition.
3. To attribute; to assign; to adjudge.
4. To become soft or moist.
5. To bestow without receiving a return; to confer without compensation; to impart, as a possession; to grant, as authority or permission; to yield up or allow.
6. To cause; to make; - with the infinitive; as, to give one to understand, to know, etc.
7. To communicate or announce, as advice, tidings, etc.; to pronounce; to render or utter, as an opinion, a judgment, a sentence, a shout, etc.
8. To devote; to apply; used reflexively, to devote or apply one's self; as, the soldiers give themselves to plunder; also in this sense used very frequently in the past participle; as, the people are given to luxury and pleasure.
9. To excite or cause to exist, as a sensation; as, to give offense; to give pleasure or pain.
10. To exhibit as a product or result; to produce; to show; as, the number of men, divided by the number of ships, gives four hundred to each ship.
11. To give a gift or gifts.
12. To grant power or license to; to permit; to allow; to license; to commission.
13. To have a misgiving.
14. To move; to recede.
15. To open; to lead.
16. To pledge; as, to give one's word.
17. To set forth as a known quantity or a known relation, or as a premise from which to reason; - used principally in the passive form given.
18. To shed tears; to weep.
19. To yield possesion of; to deliver over, as property, in exchange for something; to pay; as, we give the value of what we buy.
20. To yield to force or pressure; to relax; to become less rigid; as, the earth gives under the feet.
21. To yield; to furnish; to produce; to emit; as, flint and steel give sparks.
infract, fertilise, eat, turn in, better, interrupt, pay up, lend oneself, pass away, go, break away, hold back, use, seduce, shell out, have got, curb, remit, exceed, found, say yes, knuckle under, kick the bucket, plant, concede, arrest, flop, place, draw, install, get hold of, get out, prove, expose, forget, move, hold up, yield, overstep, transmit, show, urinate, community chest, micturate, gift, succumb, confront, flexibility, build, fall flat, confine, apply, soften, choke, indue, beget, set apart, hand over, unveil, form, discombobulate, take hold, establish, circulate, look, damp, perform, convert, sustain, struggle, delve, institutionalize, project, rich, bring out, defend, moderate, wee-wee, slip by, play, destine, order, infect, guard, throw in, discontinue, hand out, bounce, buckle, acquaint, prevail, malleable, planned, divulge, give in, give out, conk, cast off, natural spring, cash in one's chips, mother, give-up the ghost, puddle, spread out, fleet, bowl over, pursue, portion out, halt, ca-ca, fork up, transgress, contribute to, take in, parade, work, tolerate, hap, book, call forth, point out, nurse, negotiate, keep back, occur, separate, pose, prey, join, authorise, take effect, retort, base, lie with, leaping, let on, take a crap, consecrate, shake off, tell all, dope, demonstrate, go after, produce, commend, face, charge, institutionalise, pass by, lecture, plan, let up, transfuse, stage, exhibit, tell, strike, crumble, ordinate, burst, sell, slacken off, meet, disclose, ante up, blow over, kick down, focus, expound, overtake, salute, elapse, move with the times, conduct, bend, change your mind, admeasure, piddle, renounce, make a difference, bring, settle, oblige, bust, expire, dedicate, shew, dose, spend a penny, fall apart, take back, score, come back, ready, vouchsafe, trust, malleability, come into play, crack, declare, refund, ventilate, pack a punch, demote, leap, make water, get, employ, fracture, interpret, go past, pass on, split up, confuse, go for, make believe, tump over, adjudge, picture, relieve oneself, ease up, pop off, glide by, upset, air, defecate, own, pay off, lay out, pull up stakes, arrive at, think out, set in, egest, create, recall, throw away, interact, perish, crock up, reelect, sag, top, color, fall out, chair, give over, carry, cut into, withstand, pass, discover, construct, experience, clear, let off, hurl, pause, give away, let slip, sponginess, portray, withhold, or up, release, break, relay, accept, extend to, exit, come about, fountain, practice, give way, utilise, cause, give/get the go-ahead, consummate, proffer, switch, confound, perpetrate, bring forth, bewilder, take something into consideration, tip over, performing arts, measure out, contrive, course, represent, attain, feed, capitulate, progress to, bump, see reason/sense, endue, out, carry out, try for, allow for, go across, invest, spread, mount, trot out, spring, dole out, appoint, contain, hold, accommodate, kick downstairs, drug up, go by, throw off, check, state, aid, revert, leave, piss, let, fix, die, go down, relegate, give forth, maintain, nominate, flow, administer, make love, alms, come apart, will, spend the night with someone, blab, hark back, shatter, gain, happen, springtime, delegate, fork out, intrust, put up, hand in, put on, springiness, read, get together, snuff it, go against, recommend, obtain, hit, translate, affect, depict, accomplish, cook, pull in, inaugurate, give off, collect, stool, intermit, get to, travel by, spill the beans, catch, excrete, contact, introduce, break in, open, save, recede, shape, soft, act, confide, brief, buckle under, administration, deem, crap, bound, spend, vent, unwrap, plasticity, address, permit, roll, invest in, adapt, make over, make it, overhaul, shit, hand down, recrudesce, march on, make, execute, view as, provoke, accord, pay out, agree, move on, dispose of, legislate, surpass, retreat, yielding, shrink, turn back, sink, ease off, move over, make up, orate, pliable, flip, saltation, deed, sire, dampen, cave, develop, evanesce, lease, take a long hard look at someone/something, fade, cave in, fragment, eliminate, lay down, realise, consider, demo, spill, ingest, pliant, let out, chip in, authorize, flag, bankrupt, copulate, feed in, do, devolve, wear out, relax, progress, contemplate, let the cat out of the bag, channel, bless, advise, go through, contract, drug, sound, receive, control, community service, make pass, confer, inflict, shed, buckle down, return, wear, get around, revise, subsidize, part with, touch, consume, harbour, mandate, repay, moot, uncover, tumble, bear the cost/expense etc., conduce, relinquish, vest, buy the farm, part, pretend, entrust, be intimate with someone, finance, pull, constitute, feast, kick in, instal, fox, result in, hallow, sanctify, collapse, relent, stir, cast, impact, fertilize, cede, bear, dedicate to, keep, bedevil, stop, leave alone, strain, fall, give someone to understand (that), transfer, offend, ordain, go away, pass along, hand, suppleness, dish out, restrain, flip over, voice, convey, possess, help out, select, pliability, go along, strive, concentrate, regress, bed, fork over, reach out, stretch, emit, launch, realize, send forth, reserve, take, go about, put across, rejoin, ruin, go around, lead, get through, press for, drop, lapse, pass off, dig, take a leak, reach, give back, concord, ponder, fob off, engender, prepare, come off, stimulate, approve, erupt, break-dance, break down, drop dead, implement, deed over, empower, admit, take a shit, fuddle, volunteer, fall in, father, crumple, throw, direct, resilience, supple, reveal, breach, violate, dramatize, depart, set up, entertain, have, name, break out, implode, resilient, push for, support, afford, feature, backpedal, fail, fall through, transcend, flexible, result, weaken, birth, elastic, grip, go forth, run, resist, minister, croak, go bad, pass water, defy, conk out, suffer, benefit, give birth, utilize, achieve, outlay, vow, open up, bind, go out, obligate, guide, hold in, slip away, plastic, decease, riposte, earn, skew, befuddle, sacrifice, outpouring, report, snap off, mete out, add, concur, generate, deliberate, parcel out, knock over, unfold, sleep together, think over, pee-pee, smash, try, enact, splinter, commemorate, overturn, disintegrate, lead to, outflow, leave behind, retain, bemuse, founder, bring back, raise, break off, enforce, ground, charitable, what, debate, collection box, slide by, turn over, free, break up, take place, repose, communicate, let someone know, charity, institute, betray, sleep with, jump into bed with someone, thrust, retrovert, put, commit, crack up, pass around, harbor, influence, turn, decide, explosion, get behind, bring in, pee, evaluate, take for, wee, go on, assess, lot
allot (part of speech: verb)
offer (part of speech: verb)
reward (part of speech: verb)
give (part of speech: verb)
- It is all the answer I shall give you. - "Foul Play", Charles Reade Dion Boucicault.
- We are not going to give in yet. - "London to Ladysmith via Pretoria", Winston Spencer Churchill.
- I do not go to get; I go to give. - "When Valmond Came to Pontiac, Complete", Gilbert Parker Last Updated: March 15, 2009.