Definition of gloss:
- A false or specious explanation.
- A foreign, archaic, technical, or other uncommon word requiring explanation.
- A specious appearance; superficial quality or show.
- An interpretation, consisting of one or more words, interlinear or marginal; an explanatory note or comment; a running commentary.
- Brightness or luster of a body proceeding from a smooth surface; polish; as, the gloss of silk; cloth is calendered to give it a gloss.
- of Glossa
- To give a specious appearance to; to render specious and plausible; to palliate by specious explanation.
- To give a superficial luster or gloss to; to make smooth and shining; as, to gloss cloth.
- To make comments; to comment; to explain.
- To make sly remarks, or insinuations.
- To render clear and evident by comments; to illustrate; to explain; to annotate.
color, refinement, colouring material, polish, pretext, coloration, colourise, cloak, title, comment, mask, sleek over, annotation, glossary, guise, extenuate, translation, coloring material, cover, annotate, glossiness, finish, sheen, remark, put-on, statute title, shine, burnish, notice, tinge, face, pretense, explain away, veneer, likeness, point out, veil, coloring, color in, emblazon, culture, gleam, false colors, disguise, discolour, cultivation, light, illusion, palliate, colour, disguisement, colorize, note, people of color, luster, colourize, footnote, semblance, commentary, colouring, masquerade, shimmer, people of colour, colorise, colour in, front, window-dressing, show, rubric, sleekness, colouration, whitewash, discolor, vividness, distort.
- "The Nests and Eggs of Indian Birds, Volume 1", Allan O. Hume.
But I, whose soul consented to thy cause, Who felt thy genius stamp its own applause, Who saw the spirits of each glorious age Move in thy bosom, and direct thy rage; I scorn'd the ungenerous gloss of slavish minds, The owl- eyed race, whom Virtue's lustre blinds.- "Poetical Works of Akenside", Mark Akenside.
- "The Book of Household Management", Mrs. Isabella Beeton.