Definition of goldfinch :
1. A beautiful bright- colored European finch ( Carduelis elegans). The name refers to the large patch of yellow on the wings. The front of the head and throat are bright red; the nape, with part of the wings and tail, black; -- called also goldspink, goldie, fool's coat, drawbird, draw- water, thistle finch, and sweet William.
2. A small American finch ( Spinus tristis); the thistle bird.
3. The yellow- hammer.
bird (part of speech: noun)
grackle, road runner, snipe, crested jay, stork, peregrine, yellowbird, penguin, bluebill, crane, barn owl, condor, turkey, loon, sandpiper, blackbird, peacock, egret, swallow, crow, jackdaw, duck, bird, mockingbird, horned owl, oriole, tern, parrot, gull, swift, robin, parakeet, vulture, lovebird, ibis, partridge, wren, thrush, bittern, pheasant, myna, hawk, dove, hummingbird, lark, canary, sea gull, woodpecker, harrier, pelican, mourning dove, ostrich, tit, cormorant, eagle, cuckoo, weaver, owl, grouse, cockatoo, jay, cardinal, dodo, chickadee, goose, sheldrake, osprey, plover, coot, teal, raven, falcon, heron, grosbeak, nuthatch, redwing, booby, waxwing, squab, rook, Canada goose, blue jay, nightingale, starling, bluebird, ringtail, macaw, swan, puffin, curlew, bald eagle, magpie, emu, cassowary, quetzal, turtledove, flamingo, mallard, pigeon, sparrow, finch, kingfisher, buzzard, bullfinch, spoonbill, songbird, albatross, redbird
- At the same time, he is not full of continual merriment like the chickadee, nor occasionally in a rapture like the goldfinch. - "Birds in the Bush", Bradford Torrey.
- A fit associate for the song sparrow is the American goldfinch, or yellow- bird, which is as destructive of the seeds of weeds as the former is of the smaller insect pests. - "Nature's Serial Story", E. P. Roe.
- " I think that is a dreadful thing," said the goldfinch, with a shudder. - "Policeman Bluejay", L. Frank Baum.