Definition of gothic:
- A kind of square- cut type, with no hair lines.
- Of or pertaining to a style of architecture with pointed arches, steep roofs, windows large in proportion to the wall spaces, and, generally, great height in proportion to the other dimensions -- prevalent in Western Europe from about 1200 to 1475 a. d. See Illust. of Abacus, and Capital.
- Pertaining to the Goths; as, customs; also, rude; barbarous.
- The language of the Goths; especially, the language of that part of the Visigoths who settled in Moesia in the 4th century. See Goth.
- The style described in Gothic, a., 2.
chivalric, grotesque, medieval, mysterious, rude, black letter, knightly, barbaric, eerie, old, unusual, nonmodern, barbarous, Gothic architecture, mediaeval, strange.