Definition of government:
- Management of the limbs or body.
- The act of governing; the exercise of authority; the administration of laws; control; direction; regulation; as, civil, church, or family government.
- The body politic governed by one authority; a state; as, the governments of Europe.
- The influence of a word in regard to construction, requiring that another word should be in a particular case.
- The mode of governing; the system of polity in a state; the established form of law.
- The person or persons authorized to administer the laws; the ruling power; the administration.
- The right or power of governing; authority.
regime, authorization, influence, establishment, preponderance, presidency, governing, directory, jurisdiction, regimentation, brass, convention, soviet, council, synod, senate, political relation, legislature, governing body, political sympathies, organisation, diet, organization, court, ascendancy, politics, presidential term, predominance, hegemony, cabinet, parliament, polity, regimen, superintendence, assembly, chamber, disposal, governance, congress, convocation, supervision, giving medication, dominion, patronage, political science, over, superiority, regulation, party, ministry, government activity, authorities, prerogative, equity, state, judicature, bureaucracy, statecraft.
- command (part of speech: noun)
- control (part of speech: noun)
This is a good and wise thing to remember at this time, for there is no safe place to hide from Government in all this land; no, not even in the rocks, if he be searching for those who have taken one of his lives; and there is no force to bring before him to meet his force; and there is no holding the life from him, that he will take in punishment; and if many lives have taken his one life, he will have them all.- "Son of Power", Will Levington Comfort and Zamin Ki Dost.
- "Tales of Bengal", S. B. Banerjea.
- "Jennie Baxter, Journalist", Robert Barr.