Definition of grandiloquent:
prodigious, rhetorical, improbable, sonorous, marvelous, pontifical, ceremonious, oratorical, foreboding, words, apostolic, pompous, episcopal, fateful, style, fustian, magniloquent, swollen, pretentious, aureate, overblown, declamatory, portentous, apostolical, papal, marvellous, high-flown, orotund, study at bombastic, tall, plain.
- ornately spoken or written (part of speech: adjective)
- verbose (part of speech: adjective)
- wordy (part of speech: adjective)
- ostentatious (part of speech: adjective)
- "Delia Blanchflower", Mrs. Humphry Ward.
To be brief, my dear Gregoriev, your 'opera'- I give it your own grandiloquent appellation, is unworthy the signature of a pupil of mine; and, after a careful reading, I feel that the greatest service I can do you is to keep the score pigeon- holed here till you are able to laugh at your wild idea of its possible performance.- "The Genius", Margaret Horton Potter.
- "The Life and Genius of Nathaniel Hawthorne", Frank Preston Stearns.