Definition of gravel:
- A deposit of small calculous concretions in the kidneys and the urinary or gall bladder; also, the disease of which they are a symptom.
- Small stones, or fragments of stone; very small pebbles, often intermixed with particles of sand.
- To check or stop; to embarrass; to perplex.
- To cover with gravel; as, to gravel a walk.
- To hurt or lame ( a horse) by gravel lodged between the shoe and foot.
- To run ( as a ship) upon the gravel or beach; to run aground; to cause to stick fast in gravel or sand.
go, cacophonic, fix, ride, puzzle, stay, model, tantalise, scotch, nettle, progress to, bunk, arrive, get down, work over, father, take, lay, fret, spoil, raise up, fetch, astonish, experience, incur, twit, crucify, come, have words, scold, frustrate, wash up, let, rocks, find, get to, dun, sustain, obtain, begin, start out, complicate, convey, suffer, tucker out, beat, inconvenience oneself, flap, impersonate, shale, ticktack, disturb, tailing, trounce, inconvenience, bother, foil, aim, agitate, set out, place, stay put, set about, disoblige, alluvium, lambaste, lecture, stimulate, overreach, commence, develop, torment, pulsate, sire, berate, get at, get under one's skin, put, bring forth, bind, tease, catch, beget, induce, rough, tucker, jaw, stick by, rebuke, mother, stick to, throw, quiver, contract, rub, tick, beat up, cause, stir up, rally, lambast, lodge, macadam, receive, regulate, razz, nonplus, commove, buzz off, vex, circumvent, cacophonous, devil, cleave, screenings, bond, cohere, access, sting, reach, cling, graveled, trouble, chew out, besot, stick around, chafe, engender, bewilder, thrum, chide, shake up, remonstrate, amaze, call down, excoriate, exhaust, drive, outsmart, fray, bilk, dumbfound, stick, roil, beat out, scratch, nark, thwart, bait, scramble, pay back, crushed rock, drum, cod, hold fast, unpaved, worry, wedge, bemuse, vanquish, pay off, produce, pose, bring, flummox, position, scram, thump, rile, grating, incommode, take to task, have, raspy, taunt, make, personate, outwit, stupefy, mystify, annoy, gravelly, marl, get, adhere, reprimand, arrest, urticate, rag, call on the carpet, cross, draw, irritate, capture, astound, set, ticktock, pea gravel, bawl out, bugger off, washings, put out, dress down, rasping, crush, sand, deposit, reproof, bedevil, chew up, present, tantalize, shell, outfox, trouble oneself, acquire, generate, pound, grow, discommode, baffle, become, perplex, gall, start, stun, discombobulate, sit, posture, dirt, stand by.
- "Tom Swift and his Giant Cannon or, The Longest Shots on Record", Victor Appleton.
- "The Boy With the U.S. Miners", Francis Rolt-Wheeler.
- "The Loudwater Mystery", Edgar Jepson.