Definition of grenadier:
- A bright- colored South African grosbeak ( Pyromelana orix), having the back red and the lower parts black.
- Any marine fish of the genus Macrurus, in which the body and tail taper to a point; they mostly inhabit the deep sea; - called also onion fish, and rat- tail fish.
- Originaly, a soldier who carried and threw grenades; afterward, one of a company attached to each regiment or battalion, taking post on the right of the line, and wearing a peculiar uniform. In modern times, a member of a special regiment or corps; as, a grenadier of the guard of Napoleon I. one of the regiment of Grenadier Guards of the British army, etc.
- "Godolphin, Volume 2.", Edward Bulwer-Lytton.
Therefore, on returning to the chateau, he freed himself as soon as possible from all this rich and uncomfortable apparel; and while resuming his grenadier uniform, he repeated over and over, " At last I can get my breath."- "The Project Gutenberg Memoirs of Napoleon Bonaparte", Bourrienne, Constant, and Stewarton.
- "The Damned", Algernon Blackwood.