Definition of grist :
1. Ground corn; that which is ground at one time; as much grain as is carried to the mill at one time, or the meal it produces.
2. In rope making, a given size of rope, common grist being a rope three inches in circumference, with twenty yarns in each of the three strands.
3. Supply; provision.
- " That's right," said Grist.
- " They turn out nothing but a grist of extravagant snobs. - "Paul and the Printing Press", Sara Ware Bassett.
- A village or town never grows to any size in Canada without a saw or a grist mill, both which require a certain amount of water- power to work the machinery. - "Roughing it in the Bush", Susanna Moodie.