Definition of grumble:
- A grumbling, discontented disposition.
- The noise of one that grumbles.
- To express or utter with grumbling.
- To growl; to snarl in deep tones; as, a lion grumbling over his prey.
- To murmur or mutter with discontent; to make ill- natured complaints in a low voice and a surly manner.
- To rumble; to make a low, harsh, and heavy sound; to mutter; as, the distant thunder grumbles.
have words, murmuration, dress down, call on the carpet, reproof, pass, grouch, take to task, drop dead, rumbling, rag, conk, gnarl, reprimand, murmur vowel, repine, snarl, cronk, murmur, whine, call down, lambaste, berate, grumbling, die, snap, gang fight, kick the bucket, lambast, growl, mumble, lecture, pass away, cash in one's chips, maunder, cardiac murmur, roar, protest, expire, perish, boom, sounds, fuss, remonstrate, pop off, bark, give-up the ghost, rumble, grunt, exit, mussitation, chide, choke, scold, croak, find fault, snuff it, splutter, buy the farm, happy, muttering, go, mussitate, bawl out, chew out, heart murmur, murmuring, mutter, jaw, decease, rebuke, trounce, chew up, complain.
- "The Green Forest Fairy Book", Loretta Ellen Brady.
- "Masterman and Son", W. J. Dawson.
When I became too absorbed in my task to answer his remarks, he would still hold forth in a broken conversational grumble, contented, for reply, with the crackling of the fire and the scratching of a pen.- "Sigurd Our Golden Collie and Other Comrades of the Road", Katharine Lee Bates.