Definition of guise:
- Cover; cloak; as, under the guise of patriotism.
- Customary way of speaking or acting; custom; fashion; manner; behavior; mien; mode; practice; - often used formerly in such phrases as: at his own guise; that is, in his own fashion, to suit himself.
- External appearance in manner or dress; appropriate indication or expression; garb; shape.
study at appearance, costume, pretext, make-believe, mask, dissembling, cloak, veneer, dress, color, veil, getup, face, coloring, put-on, stalking-horse, disguisement, false colors, turnout, garb, feigning, form, pretending, gloss, window-dressing, outfit, pretense, simulation, rig, habiliment, appearance, semblance, pretence.
- behavior (part of speech: noun)
- pretension (part of speech: noun)
- "The Green Forest Fairy Book", Loretta Ellen Brady.
- "The Log of a Noncombatant", Horace Green.
I still apprehended that the Baron had it in mind not to dispose of me before my friends there in Van Kure but to prepare this journey for me under the guise of which it would be so easy to do away with me by the road.- "Beasts, Men and Gods", Ferdinand Ossendowski.