Definition of hap :
1. A cloak or plaid.
2. That which happens or comes suddenly or unexpectedly; also, the manner of occurrence or taking place; chance; fortune; accident; casual event; fate; luck; lot.
3. To clothe; to wrap.
4. To happen; to befall; to chance.
exit, clear, cash in one's chips, occur, authorise, pass along, fall out, expire, casualty, progress, happening, surprise, slide by, authorize, go through, glide by, surpass, disaster, fortuity, certain, proceed, egest, put across, overhaul, perish, breathe, spend, misfortune, hand, go on, come, run, fortune, blow over, go along, mishap, keep, give, happenstance, fade, materialize, eliminate, contingency, fleet, come on, go past, slip by, conk, find, reach, fall, choke, legislate, accident, lead, fluke, lapse, take place, come out, devolve, exceed, hazard, make it, pass by, pop off, pass away, luck, fortuitousness, possibility, calamity, emit, continue, decease, incident, bechance, adventure, encounter, slip away, befall, overtake, go across, transcend, happen, march on, make pass, communicate, elapse, sink, snuff it, come about, pass, guide, bump, come up, go, materialise, buy the farm, return, turn over, draw, die, carry on, evanesce, chance, drop dead, happenchance, pass off, travel by, overstep, top, follow, pass on, excrete, advance, extend, go by, move on, kick the bucket, misadventure, give-up the ghost, croak
- " The phrases might have been drawn at hap- hazard from a hat, 'twas a work written 'down to Charenton. - "The Magic Skin", Honore de Balzac.
- The forest is so beautiful, and the rain has ceased; I'll wander hap- hazard through the thickets. - "The Children of the World", Paul Heyse.
- Who would have thought that little Jean would have had the hard hap to become heir to them. - "Penny Plain", Anna Buchan (writing as O. Douglas).