Definition of hard :
1. A ford or passage across a river or swamp.
2. Abrupt or explosive in utterance; not aspirated, sibilated, or pronounced with a gradual change of the organs from one position to another; -- said of certain consonants, as c in came, and g in go, as distinguished from the same letters in center, general, etc.
3. Close or near.
4. Difficult to accomplish; full of obstacles; laborious; fatiguing; arduous; as, a hard task; a disease hard to cure.
5. Difficult to bear or endure; not easy to put up with or consent to; hence, severe; rigorous; oppressive; distressing; unjust; grasping; as, a hard lot; hard times; hard fare; a hard winter; hard conditions or terms.
6. Difficult to resist or control; powerful.
7. Difficult, mentally or judicially; not easily apprehended, decided, or resolved; as a hard problem.
8. Having disagreeable and abrupt contrasts in the coloring or light and shade.
9. Not easily penetrated, cut, or separated into parts; not yielding to pressure; firm; solid; compact; - applied to material bodies, and opposed to soft; as, hard wood; hard flesh; a hard apple.
10. Not easy or agreeable to the taste; stiff; rigid; ungraceful; repelling; as, a hard style.
11. Rigid in the drawing or distribution of the figures; formal; lacking grace of composition.
12. Rough; acid; sour, as liquors; as, hard cider.
13. So as to raise difficulties.
14. To harden; to make hard.
15. Uneasily; vexatiously; slowly.
16. Wanting softness or smoothness of utterance; harsh; as, a hard tone.
17. With difficulty; as, the vehicle moves hard.
18. With pressure; with urgency; hence, diligently; earnestly.
19. With tension or strain of the powers; violently; with force; tempestuously; vehemently; vigorously; energetically; as, to press, to blow, to rain hard; hence, rapidly; as, to run hard.
sonorous, intransigent, aerated, unpadded, firmly, rainy, brutal, implacable, frightful, weighed down, overweight, semihard, tough-minded, nasty, searing, embarrassing, crisp, historical, incontrovertible, frozen, expectant, surd, hard-hearted, prosaic, deep, unassailable, literal, heavy-duty, exquisite, unbending, woody, carefully, unverbalised, rancorous, practical, boiling, unstated, dour, stimulating, gravid, stern, comfort, pigheaded, rocky, affectless, al dente, attitude, fierce, fearful, flat out, soulless, calculating, desensitized, audacious, levelheaded, life-threatening, acute, fearless, documentary, slatey, black ice, soft, showery, hardheaded, murderous, sternly, petrous, seriously, gruelling, grueling, commonsensible, adamant, steely, adamantine, steadfastly, inflexible, sound, intoxicative, hard-bitten, sore, undisputable, vengeful, dangerous, by the sweat of your brow, rational, dreadful, sullen, unattackable, be painful to, large, fearsome, moist, vehement, packed, sensible, inconvincible, hot, toughened, intoxicating, unyielding, unmanageable, authoritarian, unenviable, indurate, hard-handed, to a great extent, dilute, unsparing, ironhearted, inhuman, ossified, with child, sweaty, clayey, sticky, testing, disenfranchised, ice over, hardy, unpleasant, warm, rock-hard, opinionated, be harsh toward, stark, strict, exigent, killer, concentrated, secure, final, laboriously, perverse, compassionless, sure, monstrous, backbreaking, thick, catchy, mulish, commonsensical, tumid, commonsense, unappealing, unmerciful, marmoreal, rigorous, cruel, fleshy, just, compact, voteless, two-fisted, unspoken, cast-iron, evil, excess, as if your life depends on it, unexpressed, pachydermatous, heavy-handed, lumbering, wicked, flat, heroic, lowering, last-ditch, indubitable, thick-skinned, acrimonious, in all weather(s), pick-and-shovel, austere, unkind, impenetrable, Augean, sober, unsaid, frost, abuse, reasonable, hateful, saturated, baffling, continue, alcoholic, inured, intemperate, straining, knockout, stonyhearted, granitic, drizzly, real, problematical, definite, slaty, unverbalized, lignified, raw, heavy, incompressible, granitelike, case-hardened, horny, fractious, petrified, laboured, big, weighty, unattractive, labourious, aphonic, excite, ambitious, rocklike, unuttered, unvoiced, explosive, immovable, marmorean, flinty, fresh, cloggy, stout, undeniable, acrid, indisputable, determinate, leaden, biting, pragmatic, well-founded, inviolable, self-willed, authentic, wakeless, positive, great, hefty, down-to-earth, wet, bleak, moiling, heavily, saline, problematic, taxing, be an effort, excruciating, vigorously, shrewd, awful, unrelenting, uncompromising, breathed, unquestionable, embittered, soured, reasoned, informed, hardhanded, love, effortful, severely, daring, brackish, scheming, inexpugnable, ferocious, all-out, nonfictional, painstaking, velar, slash-and-burn, labored, chlorinated, disfranchised, awkward, concerted, unwaveringly, unromantic, enceinte, remorseless, vicious, stale, impregnable, stonelike, inarguable, virulent, frosty, spirituous, gravely, powerful, cold, fermented, challenging, cold-hearted, spartan, rolling, certain, pragmatical, grave, sturdy, realistic, resist, ramrod, hard-fought, furious, voiceless, delicate, incontestable, punishing, icy, take-no-prisoners, disagreeable, tall, matter-of-fact, threatening, securely, blistering, strenuously, settled, inhumane, uncharitable, active, potent, intensive, ghastly, almighty, bitter, operose, hard-and-fast, ponderous, logical, plosive, flowing, justified, merciless, stiff-necked, elusive, willful, sharp, pertinacious, icicle, full bore, pat, irrefutable, definitely, badly, keen, hellacious, vexed, self-opinionated, hard-nosed, erect, ingestion, intemperately, ruffianly, unsettled, pitiless, profound, herculean, terrible, calculative, serious, bad, objectionable, violent, brisk, hornlike, valid, exhausting, corneous, glare ice, easy, resentful, conniving, vigorous, factual, insensate
severe (part of speech: adjective)
hard (part of speech: adjective)
solid (part of speech: adjective)
tenacious (part of speech: adjective)
fervent, diligent, decisive, stiff, devoted, indefatigable, courageous, hearty, persistent, resolute, persevering, strong, flintlike, undaunted, headstrong, indomitable, bullheaded, bulldogged, dogged, staunch, steadfast, enduring, plucky, true, insistent, unflagging, strong-willed, stubborn, tenacious, determined, obdurate, tireless, spunky, obstinate, brave, dauntless, faithful, bold
difficult (part of speech: adjective)
grinding, toilsome, finicky, cantankerous, severe, arduous, harsh, ticklish, tough, knotty, thorny, trying, oppressive, laborious, strenuous, contrary, onerous, rough, wearying, tricky, bothersome, fussy, complex, rugged, tight, wearing, demanding, complicated, wearisome, uphill, formidable, stressful, cumbersome
insensitive (part of speech: adjective)
emotionless, passionless, indifferent, aloof, detached, nonchalant, callous, hardhearted, dispassionate, insensitive, ruthless, hardened, uncompassionate, passive, apathetic, numb, hard-boiled, objective, anesthetized, unfeeling, unemotional, stony, unsympathetic, heartless, cold-blooded, blunt, cool, unconcerned
adverse (part of speech: adjective)
disastrous, unlucky, burdensome, inauspicious, grievous, unfortunate, difficult, calamitous, unfavorable, adverse, tragic, miserable, perilous, antipathetic, woeful, unpropitious, troublesome, untoward, opposing, detrimental, catastrophic, unfriendly, distressful
- How hard this work! - "Winning His Way", Charles Carleton Coffin.
- I think it hard that I should have to do so; but I can do it,- and I will do it." - "The Duke's Children", Anthony Trollope.
- " That's hard to say, for I don't know how much proof they may have against him. - "The Adventures of a Country Boy at a Country Fair", James Otis.