Definition of heighten:
enkindle, focalise, mount, climb up, turn out, prove, originate, put forward, kick upstairs, bring up, invoke, conjure, deepen, change, go up, arise, nurture, produce, wax, leaven, jump, recruit, arouse, elicit, stir, focus, fire, aggravate, put up, conjure up, intensify, come up, move up, evoke, surface, rise up, step up, call forth, climb, combine, compound, provoke, rebel, parent, spring up, call down, stand up, taper, redouble, promote, focalize, farm, point, levy, rise, ascend, set up, enhance, resurrect, kindle, get up, uprise, develop.
- elevate (part of speech: verb)
- increase (part of speech: verb)
- intensify (part of speech: verb)
- heighten (part of speech: verb)
- "A Sicilian Romance", Ann Radcliffe.
- "You Never Know Your Luck, Complete Being The Story Of A Matrimonial Deserter", Gilbert Parker Last Updated: March 14, 2009.
The pathos of the closing scene where Strafford is discovered in The Tower, sitting with his children, is theatrical pathos of the most correct kind, and each little speech of little William and little Anne is uttered as much for the audience as for their father, implying in every word " See, how we, poor innocents, heighten the pity of it."- "Robert Browning", Edward Dowden.