Definition of heretic:
- One who having made a profession of Christian belief, deliberately and pertinaciously refuses to believe one or more of the articles of faith determined by the authority of the universal church.
- One who holds to a heresy; one who believes some doctrine contrary to the established faith or prevailing religion.
bad apple, religious outcast, religion, dissident, liberal, non-conformist, extremism, heresiarch, apostate, eccentricity, separationist, iconoclast, freethinker, schismatic, separatist, nonconformist, sectary, misbeliever.
- sectarian (part of speech: adjective)
- unbeliever (part of speech: noun)
Little by little I found out that the people were invariably friendly towards a small boy, even the child of an alien and heretic race; also that the dogs in spite of all their noise and fury never really tried to pull me off my horse and tear me to pieces.- "Far Away and Long Ago", W. H. Hudson.
- "There was a King in Egypt", Norma Lorimer.
How could the man on whom the heretic and rebellious Hollanders and the Protestant princes of Germany relied as on their saviour escape the unutterable wrath and the patient vengeance of a power that never forgave?- "The Life of John of Barneveld, 1609-15, Volume I.", John Lothrop Motley Last Updated: February 7, 2009.