Definition of hero :
1. A man of distinguished valor or enterprise in danger, or fortitude in suffering; a prominent or central personage in any remarkable action or event; hence, a great or illustrious person.
2. An illustrious man, supposed to be exalted, after death, to a place among the gods; a demigod, as Hercules.
3. The principal personage in a poem, story, and the like, or the person who has the principal share in the transactions related; as Achilles in the Iliad, Ulysses in the Odyssey, and Aeneas in the Aeneid.
heron, Romeo, battler, champion, poor boy, supporter, gun for hire, combatant, superstar, paladin, whizz, ingenue, tragedian, gun, martyr, club sandwich, adept, Hero of Alexandria, golden boy, crampfish, BLT, knowledge, protagonist, folk hero, fear, champ, name, milling machinery, hoagy, pigboat, torpedo, personality, empanada, risk-taker, mavin, submarine sandwich, molar, friend, cast, man, cuneus, guiding light, lion, badass, bruschetta, hero sandwich, attack aircraft, eponymous, grinder, belligerent, legend, double-decker, warrior, beefburger, gambler, brave, hoagie, notable, adventurer, star, exemplar, gallant, shooter, zep, master, big name, gunslinger, mill, electric ray, virtuoso, Italian sandwich, baddy, heavy, character, title-holder, Cuban Sandwich, hit man, antihero, burrito, hired gun, conqueror, hacek, maven, daredevil, whiz, burger, narrator, bad guy, role model, booster, wiz, bomber, gunman, golden girl, tough guy, victor, wonder, sensation, wizard, triggerman, genius, hitman, chock, dramatis personae, admirer, fighter aircraft, wedge heel, ace, scrapper, hotshot, canape, wedge shape, personage, celebrity, submarine, fighter, numbfish, actor, sub, enchilada, luminary, wedge
deity (part of speech: noun)
Holy Ghost, Christ, goddess, idol, godhead, redeemer, omniscience, Almighty, Son of God, Providence, heroine, Son of Man, salvation, muse, Jesus, creator, Lamb of God, Savior, Trinity, absolute, demigod, Jesus Christ, infinite, Messiah, Lord, inspiration, Jesu, deity, King of Kings, divinity, dieu, judge, Prince of Peace, omnipotence, King of the Jews, all-powerful, Jehovah, maker, God
good person (part of speech: noun)
- But I don't want to be made out a hero. - "The New Book Of Martyrs", Georges Duhamel.
- And Howard drew himself up proudly, and thought of his father's hero. - "Tip Lewis and His Lamp", Pansy.
- As our hero was leaving the store, Eben called him back. - "Do and Dare A Brave Boy's Fight for Fortune", Horatio Alger, Jr..