Definition of hierarchy:
- A body of officials disposed organically in ranks and orders each subordinate to the one above it; a body of ecclesiastical rulers.
- A form of government administered in the church by patriarchs, metropolitans, archbishops, bishops, and, in an inferior degree, by priests.
- A rank or order of holy beings.
- Dominion or authority in sacred things.
coloration, consortium, bureaucracy, authority, coalition, power structure, theocracy, chain of command, regime, body, class-conscious, corps, birth, chronology, government, column, bourgeois, check, classism, beneath, committee, the bourgeoisie, articulation, array, arrangement, background, clinic, argyle, classless, configuration, pecking order, beginnings, army, cabal, board, class, arabesque.
The minor works, however, from the specimens already published, would seem to be of less interest than the memoirs; most of them bearing on the, to Saint Simon, inexhaustible subject of the privileges of the peerage, and its place in the hierarchy of government.- "A Short History of French Literature", George Saintsbury.
- "At Large", Arthur Christopher Benson.
- "Project Gutenberg History of The Netherlands, 1555-1623, Complete", John Lothrop Motley.