Definition of HIT:
- 3d pers. sing. pres. of Hide, contracted from hideth.
- A game won at backgammon after the adversary has removed some of his men. It counts less than a gammon.
- A peculiarly apt expression or turn of thought; a phrase which hits the mark; as, a happy hit.
- A striking against; the collision of one body against another; the stroke that touches anything.
- A striking of the ball; as, a safe hit; a foul hit; - sometimes used specifically for a base hit.
- A stroke of success in an enterprise, as by a fortunate chance; as, he made a hit.
- having become very popular or acclaimed; - said of entertainment performances; as, a hit record, a hit movie.
- of Hit
- To guess; to light upon or discover.
- To meet or come in contact; to strike; to clash; - followed by against or on.
- To meet or reach what was aimed at or desired; to succeed, - often with implied chance, or luck.
- To reach or attain exactly; to meet according to the occasion; to perform successfully; to attain to; to accord with; to be conformable to; to suit.
- To reach with a stroke or blow; to strike or touch, usually with force; especially, to reach or touch ( an object aimed at).
- To take up, or replace by a piece belonging to the opposing player; - said of a single unprotected piece on a point.
realize, dive, scrape, banged, fit, get to, chop down, chorale, elimination, blast, authoring, murder, dish, happen, blow, dispatch, punish, butt, piddle, chanty, fulfill, match, check, pummeled, take in, bat, occur, beat, crack, meet, kick, realise, overhead, mangle, bash, comedy, bunt, total, urinate, despatch, fritter, take, striking, knock, ready, be in the grip of something, draw a conclusion/an inference, thump, tote up, blitz, clear, struck, pounded, dissipate, slog, fascination, sock, club, air raid, push, come up with, chop, film, looker, slapped, fly, nominate, add up, pull ahead, thwacked, rapped, inject, engage, backhand, reciprocate, impact, A-D conversion, pass, move out, fashion, ram, incur, tot up, absent, gain ground, address, access number, draw in, stimulate, thrashed, knockout, AI, mop up, move, stool, get through, popularity, cover, light upon, cuff, touch on, trip up, knocked out, genocide, hold, cross, mantrap, biffed, peach, run across, harm, damage, ground out, pullulate, flail, cudgel, pee-pee, thrash, shoot down, hurt, remove, reach, boom, form, take a shit, chip, dependence, fall, attack, complete, butchery, charge, pertain, chance upon, thrill, artificial intelligence, conceive, dart, background processing, burgeon forth, bombardment, dab, rack up, smash into, get rid of, air strike, clear up, wallop, surprise, get, strive, make a difference, come across, bear on, hammer, neutralize, extend to, bump, take effect, smite, earn, not know where/which way to turn, micturate, judge, crackhouse, carol, transfer, endure, scratch, relieve oneself, jab, seduce, fix, offset, hot spot, defecate, piss, blank, add together, magnet, cock-and-bull story, euthanasia, bombing, score, the Blitz, pasted, overshadow, bat around, rush, clap, bam, coax, kick around, slam, respond, allegory, eject, enter, sum, epic, smash, corner, barrage, aria, shoot, anthem, work stoppage, tally, fool away, baulk, stumble, come upon, binged, mug, sprout, make up, fratricide, whacked, punch, overtake, finish off, excise, fringe, boxed, concern, expunge, jostle, alpha test, tear, lulu, get in, forgiveness, create, arrive at, flick, come to, discharge, hammer blow, catch, spend a penny, tapped, appear, mugged, come under, establish, come into play, spud, arrive, put on, control, scud, assume, conk, butt against, single, fool, shit, basted, batch, nock, add, mint, pass on, come off, induce, bobble, bop, Boolean, crash, slugged, comedown, whip, snap, bump off, culpable homicide, constitute, mutilate, acquire, addiction, authentication, smashed, achieve, stunner, take away, get on, suffer, retort, poked, knock against, contract, Christmas carol, summate, make, ravisher, smack, finish, collide, conceptualize, send off, anecdote, reach out, throw, slug, have-to doe with, build, beat, cause, falter, ABEND, strike, draw, account name, take up, pop, go, knock out, bring out, belt, deny, impinging, adaptation, counter, cancel out, Bluetooth, classic, strike down, rap, double, happen upon, assassination, strike back, jar against, relate, pee, taint, dash, biff, hit on, encounter, eat up, bob, shape, drama, paste, ten-strike, wham, crack den, collide with, strain, cuffed, dribble, hitting, crank, whack, black comedy, do, cudgeled, blind certificate, smasher, eruption, germinate, flush, slay, foul play, resuscitate, nail, triple, frivol away, go through, be in dire/desperate straits, loose on, prepare, cost, flash, whop, buck, thumped, lay low, wee-wee, slammed, have, come, puddle, withdraw, wrap up, infer, operate, contact, impinge on, gibe, grade, swatted, winner, favourite, access time, spanked, clouted, bludgeon, thwack, make headway, ball, profit, abuse, sweetheart, smash-up, gain, trip, fritter away, hand, pat, take a leak, run over, finish up, touch, derive, collision, call, run into, retaliate, agree, name, impress, knocked, block, pull in, bumble, bonk, land, punched, fashion statement, get hold of, bang, buffet, interact, gather, polish off, accomplish, work, detective, smitten, come on, rocked, give, shine, chalk up, pip, batter, foul, plastered, affect, slap, energize, balk, off, photograph, run, ballad, revive, slip up, beauty, beaten, lay down, advance, measure, delivery, bourgeon, tot, coin, clean, benefit, clip, stun, blogosphere, cook, bookmark, turn over, alma mater, ca-ca, progress to, spoil, clout, calypso, strickle, bring in, walk out, come in, chance on, fall upon, take out, produce, get ahead, pelt, put, cold turkey, beat up, pretend, bump into, appraise, blitzkrieg, be (caught/stuck) between a rock and a hard place, tap, connect, pass water, smacked, win, attain, see, boot, wee, undergo, scoot, swat, refer, anonymous FTP, bust, construct, hook, sum up, make believe, worst, activate, discover, crap, slogged, mark, make water, jibe, function, actuate, take a crap, kicked, correspond.
- "Traditions of the Tinguian: A Study in Philippine Folk-Lore", Fay-Cooper Cole.
- "The Coming of the Law", Charles Alden Seltzer.
- "The Plunderer", Roy Norton.