Definition of hit :
1. 3d pers. sing. pres. of Hide, contracted from hideth.
2. A game won at backgammon after the adversary has removed some of his men. It counts less than a gammon.
3. A peculiarly apt expression or turn of thought; a phrase which hits the mark; as, a happy hit.
4. A striking against; the collision of one body against another; the stroke that touches anything.
5. A striking of the ball; as, a safe hit; a foul hit; - sometimes used specifically for a base hit.
6. A stroke of success in an enterprise, as by a fortunate chance; as, he made a hit.
7. having become very popular or acclaimed; - said of entertainment performances; as, a hit record, a hit movie.
9. of Hit
10. To guess; to light upon or discover.
11. To meet or come in contact; to strike; to clash; - followed by against or on.
12. To meet or reach what was aimed at or desired; to succeed, - often with implied chance, or luck.
13. To reach or attain exactly; to meet according to the occasion; to perform successfully; to attain to; to accord with; to be conformable to; to suit.
14. To reach with a stroke or blow; to strike or touch, usually with force; especially, to reach or touch ( an object aimed at).
15. To take up, or replace by a piece belonging to the opposing player; - said of a single unprotected piece on a point.
realize, shape, bourgeon, impinging, name, remove, revive, dissipate, whip, mug, grade, complete, attain, elimination, be in the grip of something, basted, AI, appear, see, bump, gain ground, run, gibe, put, achieve, bang, contact, conceptualize, expunge, beauty, suffer, baulk, collide with, blast, check, have, wrap up, despatch, ten-strike, anecdote, kick around, sweetheart, Bluetooth, hook, work stoppage, knock out, cover, nock, push, tote up, pat, seduce, rack up, be in dire/desperate straits, micturate, bumble, sum up, calypso, pull in, bump into, burgeon forth, punch, batch, take out, slap, gain, smasher, inject, popularity, jostle, background processing, make believe, snap, overshadow, score, thrash, come in, trip, drama, banged, undergo, collide, hand, polish off, profit, eject, hit on, boxed, scud, rap, alpha test, impinge on, knock, shine, backhand, urinate, bombardment, spud, spend a penny, cost, progress to, thump, wee-wee, put on, smack, run into, blitzkrieg, authentication, summate, ravisher, fringe, adaptation, work, fall, ready, pelt, hitting, finish up, form, come to, send off, resuscitate, throw, bam, fit, build, biffed, flush, slugged, move, surprise, blow, crash, prepare, access number, add together, club, fratricide, strickle, scoot, call, swat, bear on, mantrap, knocked out, euthanasia, reach out, smash, pee, reach, clap, belt, air raid, advance, sock, pass water, frivol away, balk, strive, overhead, make headway, chorale, tot, winner, bring in, meet, chance upon, pounded, slogged, clear, transfer, strike, whop, carol, alma mater, boom, rocked, crap, move out, coin, A-D conversion, sprout, falter, punched, gather, fool, earn, worst, get in, activate, bookmark, excise, forgiveness, plastered, favourite, mop up, construct, crackhouse, shoot, harm, shoot down, addiction, win, conceive, come upon, double, counter, incur, jar against, culpable homicide, thrashed, happen, loose on, piss, total, dash, bunt, infer, run across, match, slay, mint, reciprocate, stunner, comedy, whack, foul, make up, chalk up, chop down, be (caught/stuck) between a rock and a hard place, chop, jab, swatted, impress, allegory, ballad, bludgeon, arrive at, pummeled, crank, run over, artificial intelligence, cudgel, pass, thwacked, cold turkey, mugged, offset, lay down, piddle, delivery, assassination, spoil, give, come across, lay low, mutilate, fritter, slog, walk out, do, batter, slug, smite, get ahead, black comedy, flick, tear, Boolean, get, conk, boot, detective, looker, dribble, get rid of, flail, fashion statement, discover, stimulate, slapped, create, lulu, encounter, nominate, butt against, engage, scratch, crack den, dart, bop, come into play, nail, judge, contract, binged, ram, wham, beat, scrape, pip, tot up, light upon, butt, draw, germinate, take in, affect, Christmas carol, fulfill, bust, retaliate, overtake, the Blitz, neutralize, address, slammed, accomplish, absent, derive, interact, abuse, authoring, have-to doe with, photograph, thrill, catch, magnet, hammer blow, hurt, touch on, anthem, thwack, actuate, acquire, single, slam, whacked, knock against, make a difference, collision, chanty, charge, air strike, aria, off, tap, deny, bring out, rush, striking, dab, coax, mangle, endure, respond, get through, clear up, not know where/which way to turn, paste, connect, agree, bash, go, beat up, attack, strike down, pop, wallop, take a leak, cuffed, strain, cuff, account name, punish, refer, hot spot, occur, bonk, poked, classic, get to, sum, turn over, triple, pass on, measure, ground out, cross, come off, thumped, get hold of, blitz, induce, constitute, cook, relate, fritter away, come under, flash, benefit, slip up, establish, finish off, smash-up, pretend, epic, pull ahead, trip up, enter, retort, correspond, bump off, operate, kick, dish, take away, get on, genocide, cock-and-bull story, ca-ca, stool, bat around, chance on, rapped, wee, barrage, control, blank, take effect, fix, discharge, damage, bat, knocked, blind certificate, energize, bombing, dive, make water, smitten, knockout, taint, cudgeled, smashed, smacked, mark, add up, butchery, puddle, foul play, hold, clouted, produce, extend to, eruption, dependence, buck, make, take up, eat up, ABEND, bobble, take a shit, clip, impact, function, land, biff, stun, stumble, clean, spanked, pee-pee, arrive, pertain, clout, cause, hammer, take a crap, come, withdraw, finish, chip, corner, murder, cancel out, come on, fall upon, kicked, smash into, shit, film, go through, anonymous FTP, jibe, touch, crack, assume, fly, happen upon, add, tapped, peach, ball, realise, beaten, defecate, block, blogosphere, strike back, comedown, draw a conclusion/an inference, concern, struck, come up with, appraise, fascination, pasted, fashion, take, fool away, pullulate, buffet, bob, tally, draw in, relieve oneself, access time, dispatch
- Try and throw your spear at me, for if you can hit me it is all right, for I have killed many people." - "Traditions of the Tinguian: A Study in Philippine Folk-Lore", Fay-Cooper Cole.
- If you move again until I give the word you won't know where you've been hit! - "The Coming of the Law", Charles Alden Seltzer.
- I've had a hard hit of my own for a long time now. - "The Plunderer", Roy Norton.