Definition of hob :
1. A countryman; a rustic; a clown.
2. A fairy; a sprite; an elf.
3. A peg, pin, or mark used as a target in some games, as an iron pin in quoits; also, a game in which such a target is used.
4. A threaded and fluted hardened steel cutter, resembling a tap, used in a lathe for forming the teeth of screw chasers, worm wheels, etc.
5. The flat projection or iron shelf at the side of a fire grate, where things are put to be kept warm.
6. The hub of a wheel. See Hub.
7. The male ferret.
- This is, in fact, the plan pursued under the Whitworth system, in which a hob or chaser- cutting tool is used to produce all the thread- cutting tools. - "Modern Machine-Shop Practice, Volumes I and II", Joshua Rose.
- Throw quick and hard, and, as you throw, cry out,- 'Bibbity bobbity bobbin, Go hibbity hob hobnobbin. - "Little Mr. Thimblefinger and His Queer Country", Joel Chandler Harris.
- For when the boy raised his feet with each stride, the man- sized, hob- nailed boots which encased them failed to lift in turn. - "Then I'll Come Back to You", Larry Evans.