Definition of hold :
1. A character [ thus ] placed over or under a note or rest, and indicating that it is to be prolonged; - called also pause, and corona.
2. A place of confinement; a prison; confinement; custody; guard.
3. A place of security; a fortified place; a fort; a castle; - often called a stronghold.
4. Binding power and influence.
5. In general, to keep one's self in a given position or condition; to remain fixed. Hence:
6. Not to fail or be found wanting; to continue; to last; to endure a test or trial; to abide; to persist.
7. Not to fall away, desert, or prove recreant; to remain attached; to cleave;- often with with, to, or for.
8. Not to give way; not to part or become separated; to remain unbroken or unsubdued.
9. Not to more; to halt; to stop;- mostly in the imperative.
10. Something that may be grasped; means of support.
11. The act of holding, as in or with the hands or arms; the manner of holding, whether firm or loose; seizure; grasp; clasp; gripe; possession; - often used with the verbs take and lay.
12. The authority or ground to take or keep; claim.
13. The whole interior portion of a vessel below the lower deck, in which the cargo is stowed.
14. To accept, as an opinion; to be the adherent of, openly or privately; to persist in, as a purpose; to maintain; to sustain.
15. To bear, carry, or manage; as he holds himself erect; he holds his head high.
16. To cause to remain in a given situation, position, or relation, within certain limits, or the like; to prevent from falling or escaping; to sustain; to restrain; to keep in the grasp; to retain.
17. To consider; to regard; to esteem; to account; to think; to judge.
18. To derive right or title; - generally with of.
19. To have; to possess; to be in possession of; to occupy; to derive title to; as, to hold office.
20. To impose restraint upon; to limit in motion or action; to bind legally or morally; to confine; to restrain.
21. To maintain in being or action; to carry on; to prosecute, as a course of conduct or an argument; to continue; to sustain.
22. To prosecute, have, take, or join in, as something which is the result of united action; as to, hold a meeting, a festival, a session, etc.; hence, to direct and bring about officially; to conduct or preside at; as, the general held a council of war; a judge holds a court; a clergyman holds a service.
23. To receive and retain; to contain as a vessel; as, this pail holds milk; hence, to be able to receive and retain; to have capacity or containing power for.
24. To restrain one's self; to refrain.
25. To retain in one's keeping; to maintain possession of, or authority over; not to give up or relinquish; to keep; to defend.
lay down, ward, aim, patronise, arouse, clutch pedal, put up, see to it, lend oneself, institutionalize, detainment, hold on, kick in, refuse, incur, bar, restrain, adhesive friction, sense, stomach, obtain, level, look into, make believe, determine, cargo deck, create, stand up, fit in, entertain, take a leak, micturate, pack, produce, throw away, plunk for, triumph, rivet, render, return, extend, keep up, assert, climbing wall, dare, shoot, take up, take in, spellbind, plump for, crap, stability, insure, soften, chair, occupy, confound, apply, let in, voice, guide, contrive, rate, bring, hold down, livelihood, embosom, jog along, ingest, go over, mesmerize, storage area, climb, dedicate, cause, aboard, view as, remove, verify, ruffle, harmonize, figure, checker, enthrall, concur, befuddle, back, patronage, grab, make, consort, living, attain, harmonise, strike, intercept, apprehend, bond, adapt, intern, drive, busy, conquer, defy, outlive, pee, draw, shake off, asseverate, set aside, learn, take a shit, fill, grant, touch, grow in, bobby pin, discombobulate, spend a penny, mark, fancy, uphold, ascertain, kibosh, overflow, argue, submit, board, enfold, coincide, urinate, check off, study, book, forbear, use up, kiss, bemuse, surrender, tie down, drop, harbour, avow, experience, generate, present, bring/call someone/something to mind, hold in, cuddle, pick up, burrow, mark off, abide, obligate, limber up, caving, crane, handle, find, expect, bear, convey, awaken, turn over, standardize, schlep, admit, preservation, capture, immobilize, guard, take away, got, taste, store up, operate, work out, piddle, lodge, keep in line, turn out, appreciation, compass, traction, hold someone for ransom, think of, continue, form, tame, delay, ask, necessitate, earmark, match, open, put away, afloat, check, think, limit, aft, handling, press, nourish, pretend, keep from, last, seduce, use, donjon, blade, pat, consecrate, eternity, call back, arr., staunch, postulate, amidships, film, arrest, make up, organize, stick, nab, stick up, feed, reconcile, croon, might, invoke, nurture, represent, transmit, devote, subdue, consider, booking office, condition, stockpile, gift, construct, call in, concord, true, champion, check up on, proceed, say, hump, suffer, practice, acknowledge, fit, jog, earn, birth, give suck, get, stamp down, give birth, call, excite, stool, allege, pin down, balance, fend for, cite, sing out, discernment, wet-nurse, take over, ca-ca, save, stick to, hairgrip, leave, haul, look at, tap, need, leadership, crack, lease, trammel, keep open, shoulder, try for, conduct, keep on, read, bread and butter, cargo hold, get hold of, gestate, train, boom, pick out, opinion, bag, book on, manifest, have got, brush, chasten, deliver, subscribe to, choose, take for, show, channel, throw off, set up, mince, comport, enjoy, contact, invade, rein, cop, throttle, adhere to, pass water, conciliate, nominate, hand, clear, induce, hit, bilge, do something from memory, endure, campaign, enforce, restrict, consent, house, nurse, thrust, have in, go along, withstand, survive, time lag, waiting, know best, obstruct, constipate, retard, monopoly, stand for, constrain, ascend, hold back, adjudge, stanch, take aim, ascent, suss out, bring before, build, fight back, score, bind, take control, harbor, work, go, defend, carry, cut back, double over, contend, transport, engage, subjugate, allow, plan, answer, cargo area, be a great/firm believer in something, force, die hard, pull in, impart, storm, longevity, bosom, besiege, sing, persist, hold fast, confirm, toy with, employ, think about, tie, deferral, let yourself go, burn, commit, see, permanence, convene, acquit, express yourself, cave in, post, take a crap, catch up, feature, underpin, survival, hug, rouse, give up to, crook, clench, give way, booking, arrive at, curb, tingle, ease up, adopt, bend, hire, fascinate, constitute, founder, live on, base camp, implement, imagine, wield, bay, climbing, have a mind of your own, dial, exercise, inspire, feel, switch, regularize, suckle, nail, greatness, bow, bowsprit, keep going, consistency, vocalize, take hold, utilize, check over, put on, do, compel, batch, canvass, pee-pee, lift, involve, be stamped on your memory/mind, prevail, tie up, contribute, live, canyoneering, arrange, fuddle, take prisoner, loosen up, name, opine, deport, continuation, moderate, oligopoly, prove out, display, offer, deferment, reach, stay fresh, remember, collect, fix, shit, go for, circumscribe, bit, incorporate, pin, move over, confuse, back up, endorse, support, recollect, make no secret of something, afford, fight, wee-wee, take to, thwart, state, wash, recognize, caller, bridle, traveling bag, aver, boast, call up, tick, stimulate, observe, agree, tick off, block, cumber, accord, stem, firm up, check out, stabilize, shed, gibe, conceal, remain, sustenance, realise, have a bun in the oven, substantiate, attach, give, bubble, sweep to/from power, inhibit, oppose, appear, warm up, burn off, serenade, chant, belong to, travelling bag, take, rent, detention, continuity, patronize, charter, hold out, admiration, brook, hold up, collapse, throw, check into, puddle, fall in, crouch, disturb, bear out, relive, catch, choreograph, bookable, silence, run, walk away with, hope, owned, in, digest, bedevil, get in, hands, subscribe, cook, dribble, assure, wee, stage, tend, squeeze, consume, get to, hurl, exact, free, restraint, beam, bring in, range, secure, piss, watch, berth, tally, gain, contract, bound, clutches, orchestrate, caress, keep back, call for, yield, cast off, reckon, prolong, correspond, think back, burst/break into song, detain, truss, relieve oneself, suspect, resist, incarcerate, cower, demand, ignite, wear, suck, pass, lactate, pass on, incline, corroborate, turn back, bus, hold water, make prisoner, custody, behave, sculpt, sacrifice, manipulate, shield, jail, flirt with, fox, sing along, flip, break, appropriate, stick out, seem, jibe, progress to, annex, oblige, take into custody, abseil, select, breastfeed, utilise, express, transfix, allow in, go on, celebrate, give away, establish, chequer, collar, make water, clutch bag, wait, let, hold open, lock away, be burdened with something, tolerate, full, take on, defecate, exert, ready, constancy, cast, appeal, postponement, take charge, announce, arraign, bestride, sorted, find out, carry a tune, clinch, affect, ensure, suitcase, stand firm, lead, stock, holdup, intromit, encumber, brake, persuade, suit, pay, bewilder, temper, project, perceptiveness, climber, chip in, prepare, tone down, aisle seat, fight down, stick in your mind/memory, realize, dungeon, stand, intimidate, predominate, busy signal, curtail, bandage, clip, provoke, nuzzle, hold off, handgrip, planned, hoard, cut off, believe in, avouch, contents, deal, require, bristle with, indorse, sustain
contain (part of speech: verb)
possess (part of speech: verb)
withdraw (part of speech: verb)
grip (part of speech: verb)
command (part of speech: verb)
government, supremacy, power, authority, discipline, reign, control, mandate, domination, prowess, will, management, direct, sway, command, rule, law, sovereignty, charge, manage, govern, coordinate, master, mastery, coordination, commission, direction, dominate
believe (part of speech: verb)
stop (part of speech: verb)
enclose (part of speech: verb)
retain (part of speech: verb)