Definition of hone :
1. A kind of swelling in the cheek.
2. A stone of a fine grit, or a slab, as of metal, covered with an abrading substance or powder, used for sharpening cutting instruments, and especially for setting razors; an oilstone.
3. To grumble; pine; lament; long.
4. To pine; to lament; to long.
5. To sharpen on, or with, a hone; to rub on a hone in order to sharpen; as, to hone a razor.
rub, knead, chafe, scratch, smooth, learn, perfect, absorb, run, acuminate, pick up, strop, train, keep up, buff, acquire, sand, whet, develop, stone, rasp, file, master, retrain, acquaint yourself with something, sharp, set, grind, abrade
sharpen (part of speech: verb)
- I, Mr. Jelnik, at this instant feel within me the instincts of a cave man and I hone for the thigh- bone of an aurochs to prove it to you. - "A Woman Named Smith", Marie Conway Oemler.
- God knows what fer he wants hit, but ef he does hone fer hit, hit's kinderly probable thet hit's wuth holdin' on to." - "The Law of Hemlock Mountain", Hugh Lundsford.
- Carlisle, a bookseller on the Hone principle, has been issuing pamphlets from his shop in Fleet Street called the Deist. - "Letters of John Keats to His Family and Friends", John Keats.