Definition of honorary:
- A fee offered to professional men for their services; as, an honorarium of one thousand dollars.
- An honorary payment, usually in recognition of services for which it is not usual or not lawful to assign a fixed business price.
- Conferring honor, or intended merely to confer honor without emolument; as, an honorary degree.
- Done as a sign or evidence of honor; as, honorary services.
- Holding a title or place without rendering service or receiving reward; as, an honorary member of a society.
unearned, associate degree, associate, baby, 2.1, memorial, bachelor's degree, emeritus, branch, alumnus, commissioner, deputy, advanced degree, academician, 2.2, Associate of Arts, blue-collar, arriviste, auxiliary, A.A., core, commemorating, charter member, acting, casual, designate, creative, memorializing, confederate, budding, B.A., baccalaureate.
Mr. Fowler, President of the Institution, presided at the dinner, and in proposing the loyal toasts which are given at all such meetings, said of the Prince of Wales, that, " notwithstanding the numerous duties of his exalted station, His Royal Highness has always taken the greatest interest in those works which occupy the thoughts and lives of engineers, and therefore it is a source of peculiar gratification to the profession that His Royal Highness has been pleased to join the Institution of Civil Engineers, which had the honour to rank as its most distinguished honorary member His Royal Highness the Prince Consort."- "Speeches and Addresses of H. R. H. the Prince of Wales: 1863-1888", Edward VII.
A strip of green sward not far from the scene of the beacon fire made an excellent parade ground, and here they drew up in line to await the arrival of their honorary colonel, who was following with Miss Birks.- "The School by the Sea", Angela Brazil.
- "In the Fog", Richard Harding Davis.