Definition of hope :
1. A desire of some good, accompanied with an expectation of obtaining it, or a belief that it is obtainable; an expectation of something which is thought to be desirable; confidence; pleasing expectancy.
2. A sloping plain between mountain ridges.
3. A small bay; an inlet; a haven.
4. One who, or that which, gives hope, furnishes ground of expectation, or promises desired good.
5. That which is hoped for; an object of hope.
6. To desire with expectation or with belief in the possibility or prospect of obtaining; to look forward to as a thing desirable, with the expectation of obtaining it; to cherish hopes of.
7. To entertain or indulge hope; to cherish a desire of good, or of something welcome, with expectation of obtaining it or belief that it is obtainable; to expect; - usually followed by for.
8. To expect; to fear.
9. To place confidence; to trust with confident expectation of good; - usually followed by in.
swear, goal, foretaste, forecast, fortune, apprehend, Leslie Townes Hope, hold, go for, concern, mainstay, purpose, bet, look forward to, bob hope, take to, endurance, intrust, prop, belief, gain, support, entrust, consent, confide, reward, end, commit, strength, try for, accept, utopia, promise, dream, achievement, investment, bank
desire (part of speech: verb)
greed, yearning, need, acquisitiveness, expectation, thirst, craving, longing, fondness, passion, crave, itch, grasp, covet, ardency, urge, hunger, wish, amorousness, pine, long, fancy, welcome, lust, desire, covetousness, eagerness, hanker
petition (part of speech: verb)
hope (part of speech: verb)
sureness, anticipation, aspire, intend, expect, dream of, contemplation, contemplate, presume, confidence, aspiration, anticipate, trust, presumption, want, await, rely, yearn, faith, optimism, assume, believe