Definition of humanitarian :
1. Benevolent; philanthropic.
2. Content with right affections and actions toward man; ethical, as distinguished from religious; believing in the perfectibility of man's nature without supernatural aid.
3. One who denies the divinity of Christ, and believes him to have been merely human.
4. One who is actively concerned in promoting the welfare of his kind; a philanthropist.
5. One who limits the sphere of duties to human relations and affections, to the exclusion or disparagement of the religious or spiritual.
6. Pertaining to humanitarians, or to humanitarianism; as, a humanitarian view of Christ's nature.
benevolent (part of speech: adjective)
chivalrous, high-minded, altruistic, munificent, neighborly, humane, charitable, generous, philanthropic, beneficent, compassionate, kind, noble, bountiful, motherly, unselfish, benevolent, alms-giving, considerate
- We think it was also right in rejecting the Humanitarian doctrine, or that of mere Naturalism. - "Orthodoxy: Its Truths And Errors", James Freeman Clarke.
- 8. Growth of humanitarian spirit. - "The Teaching of History", Ernest C. Hartwell.
- Its fondness for Shakespearean and Elizabethan motives, its medievalism, its terrors, its democratic and humanitarian sentiments indicate the popularization of romantic ideas. - "Tragedy", Ashley H. Thorndike.