Definition of iconoclast :
1. A breaker or destroyer of images or idols; a determined enemy of idol worship.
2. One who exposes or destroys impositions or shams; one who attacks cherished beliefs; a radical.
destroyer (part of speech: noun)
zealot (part of speech: noun)
- I felt that my fault might be adjudged as great as Segur's, and not caring to run the risk of a like punishment I called on the bishop, who held the office of Grand Inquisitor, and told him word for word the conversation I had had with the iconoclast chaplain. - "The Memoires of Casanova, Complete The Rare Unabridged London Edition Of 1894, plus An Unpublished Chapter of History, By Arthur Symons", Jacques Casanova de Seingalt.
- Niecks, the iconoclast, has run this story to earth and finds it built on airy, romantic foundations. - "Chopin: The Man and His Music", James Huneker.
- He showed his bigotry by a fierce persecution of the Paulicians, an Asiatic sect of heretics accused of Manicheanism, whom the Iconoclast emperors had been wont to tolerate. - "The Byzantine Empire", Charles William Chadwick Oman.