Definition of idea :
1. A belief, option, or doctrine; a characteristic or controlling principle; as, an essential idea; the idea of development.
2. A fiction object or picture created by the imagination; the same when proposed as a pattern to be copied, or a standard to be reached; one of the archetypes or patterns of created things, conceived by the Platonists to have excited objectively from eternity in the mind of the Deity.
3. A general notion, or a conception formed by generalization.
4. A plan or purpose of action; intention; design.
5. A rational conception; the complete conception of an object when thought of in all its essential elements or constituents; the necessary metaphysical or constituent attributes and relations, when conceived in the abstract.
6. Hence: Any object apprehended, conceived, or thought of, by the mind; a notion, conception, or thought; the real object that is conceived or thought of.
7. The transcript, image, or picture of a visible object, that is formed by the mind; also, a similar image of any object whatever, whether sensible or spiritual.
bourne, caprice, inclination, cerebration, feeling, conceit, end, exemplar, aspiration, nous, melodic theme, estimate, pretension, intellection, base, attitude, intent, stand, thing, project, layout, significance, stem, beau ideal, judgement, expertise, paragon, intuition, lore, nonpareil, report, patron saint, game plan, hunch, intellect, sensitivity, root word, significancy, classic, information, mark, desire, suspicion, estimation, thought process, nonesuch, impression, ideal, musical theme, cogitation, creative thinker, picture, appraisal, approximation, radical, construct, consciousness, composition, mind's eye, commitment, stance, brain, model, sentiment, schema, awareness, role, mind, psyche, familiarity, whimsy, viewpoint, root, fancy, abstraction, vagary, head, way, humor, understanding, whim, thinker, self-assessment, planned, experience, bringing close together, purpose, reputation, eidolon, judgment, target, predilection, persuasion, mood, liking, paper, mentation, knowledge, objective
meaning (part of speech: noun)
imagination (part of speech: noun)
plan (part of speech: noun)
topic (part of speech: noun)
hypothesis, paradigm, motif, premise, essay, belief, position, conjecture, concept, subject, inference, exposition, axiom, presumption, text, theme, issue, postulation, argument, matter, assertion, problem, principle, query, question, opinion, statement, contention, thesis, theorem, basis, dissertation, point, topic, assumption
idea (part of speech: noun)
intention (part of speech: noun)
expectation, policy, scheme, prospectus, will, endeavor, calculation, object, schedule, agenda, strategy, forethought, plan, forecast, ambition, procedure, choice, scenario, intention, consideration, goal, wish, approach, aim, proposal
belief (part of speech: noun)