Definition of idle:
- Given rest and ease; averse to labor or employment; lazy; slothful; as, an idle fellow.
- Light- headed; foolish.
- Not called into active service; not turned to appropriate use; unemployed; as, idle hours.
- Not employed; unoccupied with business; inactive; doing nothing; as, idle workmen.
- Of no account; useless; vain; trifling; unprofitable; thoughtless; silly; barren.
- To lose or spend time in inaction, or without being employed in business.
- To spend in idleness; to waste; to consume; - often followed by away; as, to idle away an hour a day.
unjustified, dead, devoted, indefensible, easy, escaped, swig, abandoned, violent, economy, uncivilised, faineant, liberal, deserted, supine, shallow, work-shy, slug, worthless, out of work, disuse, fallow, lackadaisical, stamp out, uncivilized, savage, unengaged, unfounded, kill, bushed, lite, busy, trifling, untouched, inactive, void, at liberty, irresponsible, barren, loose, cut out, lax, bone-lazy, careless, uncultivated, hollow, perfunctory, sparing, available, at large, deadened, abstemious, slothful, pointless, light-headed, unjustifiable, fresh, unused, cut into, all in, unoccupied, short, sluttish, wild, informal, angry, empty, untapped, goldbricking, useless, economical, unaffixed, full, do-nothing, lightheaded, bottomless, faulty, active, action, lightsome, latent, purposeless, unwarranted, sluggard, tick over, clear, undue, dusty, lazy, shut off, furious, slipshod, flood, leisured, risky, dotty, unsupported, laze, baseless, used, backfire, jobless, godforsaken, low-cal, barbaric, on the loose, free, like a bull in a china shop, bone-idle, industrious, kill off, hazardous, trivial, scant, complacency, tripping, utter, rusty, insupportable, leisure, waste, untamed, fantastic, unwarrantable, vain, fire, underemployed, wakeful, raving mad, complacent, shiftless, numb, light, beat, raging, half-assed, weak, clean, ineffective, workless, off-duty, interfere with, true, frivolous, barbarian, crazy, hold back, squeeze out, disused, tempestuous, wanton, unclouded, shiftless, open, stagnate, calorie-free, otiose, go, light-colored, at full stretch, inoperative, vacant, rambling, remiss, vain, faint, promiscuous, slog, gaga, engagement, off, suppress, futile, defective, swooning, groundless, subdued, down, slack, burn up, unaccented, casual, grind, unprofitable, drained, cycle, indolent, inefficient, pathetic.
- inert (part of speech: adjective)
- inactive (part of speech: adjective)
- motionless (part of speech: adjective)
- passive (part of speech: adjective)
- stagnate (part of speech: verb)