Definition of ignominious :
1. Deserving ignominy; despicable.
2. Humiliating; degrading; as, an ignominious judgment or sentence.
3. Marked with ignominy; in curring public disgrace; dishonorable; shameful.
fateful, dishonorable, dim, blackened, smuggled, abusive, grim, black, dishonourable, mordant, mean, opprobrious, scurrilous, pitch-black, smutty, calamitous, pitch-dark, shocking, respect, inglorious, black-market, fatal, bleak, sinister, disgraceful, discreditable, dark, bootleg, disreputable, shameful, disastrous, embarrassing, contraband
offensive (part of speech: adjective)
vulgar (part of speech: adjective)
earthy, crude, scandalous, profane, cheap, degraded, obscene, gaudy, common, depraved, barnyard, salty, gross, unpolished, tactless, sordid, revolting, low, homespun, animal, outlandish, colloquial, sleazy, unbecoming, base, rank, boorish, ignoble, undignified, rude, cockney, repulsive, raw, crass, glaring, tasteless, coarse, inelegant, ill-bred, tawdry, unrefined, barbaric, brazen, shameless, graceless, clumsy, unseemly, indelicate, in bad taste, chintzy, coarse-grained, rough, philistine, brutish, offensive, vulgar, idiomatic, garish, broad
- It still felt odd, though, having her rescued from what had to be an inevitable, ignominious fate. - "Syndrome", Thomas Hoover.
- They employed the two hours thus granted in making an ignominious escape. - "The Rise of the Dutch Republic, Volume II.(of III) 1566-74", John Lothrop Motley Last Updated: January 25, 2009.
- He did not look as the boy believed a man should look who has just been condemned to die the ignominious death of hanging. - "The Gringos", B. M. Bower.