Definition of illuminate :
2. One who enlightened; esp., a pretender to extraordinary light and knowledge.
3. To adorn, as a book or page with borders, initial letters, or miniature pictures in colors and gold, as was done in manuscripts of the Middle Ages.
4. To light up in token or rejoicing.
5. To light up; to decorate with artificial lights, as a building or city, in token of rejoicing or respect.
6. To make light; to throw light on; to supply with light, literally or figuratively; to brighten.
7. To make plain or clear; to dispel the obscurity to by knowledge or reason; to explain; to elucidate; as, to illuminate a text, a problem, or a duty.
correct, ignite, net, teach, bring in, straighten, exculpate, earn, straighten out, classify, acquit, disentangle, crystalise, tidy up, get off, crystallise, crystalize, assoil, fall, separate, mop up, unclutter, discipline, shed light on, neaten, take in, edify, iron out, perch, clean up, pull in, sack up, pass, sack, unhorse, top, solve, assort, square away, alight, gain, trim, make, clear up, interpret, get down, see the light, finish up, realize, clear, decorate, enlighten, authorize, unsnarl, dismount, class, get through, illume, exonerate, light up, sort out, reform, fire up, explain, tidy, polish off, elucidate, put right, illustrate, discharge, irradiate, ornament, authorise, finish off, effloresce, wrap up, clarify, crystallize, realise, sort
brighten (part of speech: verb)
light (part of speech: verb)
- This light also served to illuminate the water, so that those in the forward cabin could see what was going on around them. - "Tom Swift and his Undersea Search or, The Treasure on the Floor of the Atlantic", Victor Appleton.
- The windows of the room had before been darkened, and I felt a kind of panic on seeing the pale yellow light of the moon illuminate the chamber. - "Frankenstein or The Modern Prometheus", Mary Wollstonecraft (Godwin) Shelley.
- " We mean to have a roof," said Rollo, " or we cannot illuminate it in the evening." - "Jonas on a Farm in Winter", Jacob Abbott.