Definition of illustrate:
- Illustrated; distinguished; illustrious.
- To adorn with pictures, as a book or a subject; to elucidate with pictures, as a history or a romance.
- To give renown or honor to; to make illustrious; to glorify.
- To make clear, bright, or luminous.
- To make clear, intelligible, or apprehensible; to elucidate, explain, or exemplify, as by means of figures, comparisons, and examples.
- To set in a clear light; to exhibit distinctly or conspicuously.
ornament, decorate, elucidate, define, illuminate, expound, clarify, unriddle, deck, adorn, beautify, substitute, exemplify, rough out, simplify, gild, instance, caricature, typify, construe, explicate, etch, put across, redraw, garnish, stand for, set out, spell out, symbol, epitomize, clear, interpret, evidence, describe, get across, picture, symbolize, demystify, set forth, shade, explain, delineate, bedeck, lay out, profile, pictorialize, pin down, embellish, run through.
- demonstrate (part of speech: verb)
- evince (part of speech: verb)
- represent (part of speech: verb)
- draw (part of speech: verb)
- "Success With Small Fruits", E. P. Roe.
- "Folklore as an Historical Science", George Laurence Gomme.
- "The Red Hand of Ulster", George A. Birmingham.