Definition of imitate:
- To follow as a pattern, model, or example; to copy or strive to copy, in acts, manners etc.
- To produce a semblance or likeness of, in form, character, color, qualities, conduct, manners, and the like; to counterfeit; to copy.
- To resemble ( another species of animal, or a plant, or inanimate object) in form, color, ornamentation, or instinctive habits, so as to derive an advantage thereby; sa, when a harmless snake imitates a venomous one in color and manner, or when an odorless insect imitates, in color, one having secretion offensive to birds.
chase, come after, put on, heed, go after, observe, assume, pursue, re-create, pattern, image, result, follow, take off, sham, obey, caricature, ensue, succeed, reecho, same, burlesque, travesty, make like, accompany, practise, attend.
- pretend (part of speech: verb)
- imitate (part of speech: verb)
- represent (part of speech: verb)
- reproduce (part of speech: verb)
- substitute (part of speech: verb)
- "Rose of Dutcher's Coolly", Hamlin Garland.
- "In the Rocky Mountains", W. H. G. Kingston.
- "Twenty-Four Short Sermons On The Doctrine Of Universal Salvation", John Bovee Dods.