Definition of impetus:
- A property possessed by a moving body in virtue of its weight and its motion; the force with which any body is driven or impelled; momentum.
- Fig.: Impulse; incentive; vigor; force.
- The aititude through which a heavy body must fall to acquire a velocity equal to that with which a ball is discharged from a piece.
pulse, impulse, whim, caprice, neural impulse, reason, movement, trend, pulsation, purpose, cause, purport, fillip, impulsion, heading, spur, pulsing, drift, gallery, stimulant, spur, encouragement, stimulator, urge, nerve impulse, momentum, nervous impulse, push.
- "The Iron Woman", Margaret Deland.
- "Daisy", Elizabeth Wetherell.
- "The Portion of Labor", Mary E. Wilkins Freeman.