Definition of impression :
1. A print on paper from a wood block, metal plate, or the like.
2. An indistinct notion, remembrance, or belief.
3. Impressiveness; emphasis of delivery.
4. In painting, the first coat of color, as the priming in house painting and the like.
5. Influence or effect on the senses or the intellect hence, interest, concern.
6. That which impresses, or exercises an effect, action, or agency; appearance; phenomenon.
7. That which is impressed; stamp; mark; indentation; sensible result of an influence exerted from without.
8. The act of impressing, or the state of being impressed; the communication of a stamp, mold, style, or character, by external force or by influence.
9. The pressure of the type on the paper, or the result of such pressure, as regards its appearance; as, a heavy impression; a clear, or a poor, impression; also, a single copy as the result of printing, or the whole edition printed at a given time.
motion-picture show, mental picture, matrix, outcome, purpose, plan, hypothesis, exposure, moving picture, dent, issue, flavour, words, apprehension, indent, spirit, delineation, burden, persuasion, footprint, photo, concept, painting, movie, impress, whim, supposition, fancy, mould, theory, track, gist, picture show, conceit, touch, embossment, revenue stamp, thought, smell, guess, tone, imprint, vox populi, fantasy, effect, notion, economic crisis, feel, upshot, surface, influence, whimsey, natural depression, conception, clinical depression, mold, popular opinion, print, MARKS, word picture, flavor, force, ideal, tactile sensation, depressive disorder, video, characterization, pictorial matter, view, impact, sentiment, mark, intuition, motion picture, pattern, result, event, pestle, word-painting, opinion, legal opinion, idea, reaction, conjecture, judgment, imagination, moving-picture show, postage stamp, stamp, design, touch sensation, indentation, appearance, archetype, printing, tactual sensation, icon, hunch, repercussion, flick, tender, belief, look, public opinion, essence, characterisation, form, core, ruling, low, legal tender, consequence, whimsy, slump, depression, scene, judgement, pic, intuitive feeling, suspicion, ikon, seal, film, affect, postage, spoor, printing process
engraving (part of speech: noun)
representation (part of speech: noun)
cartoon, duplication, drawing, likeness, carving, approximation, idol, statue, metaphor, image, model, silhouette, depiction, illustration, cast, effigy, portrayal, imitation, picture, copy, pastiche, analogy, miniature, photograph, replica, snapshot, representation, bust, outline, rendering, facsimile, figurine
sensibility (part of speech: noun)
feeling (part of speech: noun)
- My first impression was that I had been mistaken for some other person, but I said nothing. - "The Memoires of Casanova, Complete The Rare Unabridged London Edition Of 1894, plus An Unpublished Chapter of History, By Arthur Symons", Jacques Casanova de Seingalt.
- What was the impression left upon your mind? - "At the Mercy of Tiberius", August Evans Wilson.
- The thing was to give the impression that she would be pleased if he went, and not miserable if he refused. - "The Port of Adventure", Charles Norris Williamson and Alice Muriel Williamson.