Definition of inactive:
- Not active; having no power to move; that does not or can not produce results; inert; as, matter is, of itself, inactive.
- Not active; inert; esp., not exhibiting any action or activity on polarized light; optically neutral; -- said of isomeric forms of certain substances, in distinction from other forms which are optically active; as, racemic acid is an inactive tartaric acid.
- Not disposed to action or effort; not diligent or industrious; not busy; idle; as, an inactive officer.
delayed, closed, strikebound, reserve, soundless, dark, off-duty, dull, arrested, dead, lazy, still, in abeyance, action, underactive, torpid, slow, off, in remission, electrostatic, passive, abeyant, suspended, unresisting, noneffervescent, resistless, peaceful, inert, unused, static, vacant, sedentary, retired, at rest, hypoactive, unmoving, unchanging, nonoperational, latent, unreactive, inoperative, hibernating, silent, supine, idle, trifling, used, nonmoving, motionless, stable, unruffled, sluggish, quiescent, smooth, on leave, show, indolent, dormant, slothful.
- inert (part of speech: adjective)
- leisurely (part of speech: adjective)
- inactive (part of speech: adjective)
- motionless (part of speech: adjective)
- reposing (part of speech: adjective)
- passive (part of speech: adjective)
- "An Introduction to Chemical Science", R.P. Williams.
The strangely inactive attitude of the French made it seem quite probable that they might not make any stand in front of Metz, a probability strengthened by the reports of the German cavalry, which was scouting as far as Toul and on to the Verdun road.- "The Franco-German War of 1870-71", Count Helmuth, von Moltke.
- "The Franco-German War of 1870-71", Count Helmuth, von Moltke.