Definition of incense:
- Also used figuratively.
- The materials used for the purpose of producing a perfume when burned, as fragrant gums, spices, frankincense, etc.
- The perfume or odors exhaled from spices and gums when burned in celebrating religious rites or as an offering to some deity.
- To inflame with anger; to endkindle; to fire; to incite; to provoke; to heat; to madden.
- To offer incense to. See Incense.
- To perfume with, or as with, incense.
- To set on fire; to inflame; to kindle; to burn.
exasperate, aureole, flannel, outrage, idol, blarney, provoke, soft soap, flame, frankincense, iconography, infuriate, adulation, god, sandalwood, spice, bother, exacerbate, butter, joss stick, overpraise, frustrate, balm, annoy, enrage, punk, cense, halo, fragrancy, antagonize, anger, burnt offering, attar, thurify, myrrh, feelings, sweet talk, odor, drive someone mad, mandala, taffy, make one hot under the collar, worsen, aggravate, irritate, fuel, madden.
- "Atlantida", Pierre Benoit.
I drew all the facts readily from the zealous Friend, together with quite a history of the old meeting- house, for I proposed to make a complimentary item of the matter in my paper, well knowing how grateful such incense was to the banker's soul.- "A Day Of Fate", E. P. Roe.
- "Patty Blossom", Carolyn Wells.