Definition of incident :
1. Coming or happening accidentally; not in the usual course of things; not in connection with the main design; not according to expectation; casual; fortuitous.
2. Dependent upon, or appertaining to, another thing, called the principal.
3. Falling or striking upon, as a ray of light upon a reflecting surface.
4. Liable to happen; apt to occur; befalling; hence, naturally happening or appertaining.
5. Something appertaining to, passing with, or depending on, another, called the principal.
6. That which falls out or takes place; an event; casualty; occurrence.
7. That which happens aside from the main design; an accidental or subordinate action or event.
hap, attendant, disaster, hazard, ensuant, side, parenthetical, adventure, thing, secondary, fortuity, development, happen, incidental, possibility, calamity, event, occasion, episode, accident, chance, resultant, misadventure, bye, study at occurrence, misfortune, nonessential, casualty, conflict, consequent, concomitant, sequent, peripheral, parenthetic, disturbance, accompanying, mishap, by, contingency
occurrence (part of speech: noun)
- He put an end to the incident, and led off into talk of quite a different kind. - "The Nether World", George Gissing.
- And yet, my dear fellow, you must allow that each incident in itself is capable of a more natural explanation." - "Round the Red Lamp Being Facts and Fancies of Medical Life", Arthur Conan Doyle.
- The little incident had upset him, though for the life of him he could not imagine why. - "Four Weird Tales", Algernon Blackwood.