Definition of independence :
1. Sufficient means for a comfortable livelihood.
2. The state or quality of being independent; freedom from dependence; exemption from reliance on, or control by, others; self- subsistence or maintenance; direction of one's own affairs without interference.
fairness, self-reliance, self-confidence, nonpartisanship, free, autonomy, emancipation, objectivity, liberation, freedom, confidence, license, sovereignty, liberty, dependence, self-government, self-determination, independency, self-sufficiency, noninterference, detachment
- But pride and independence were with him distinct terms. - "Thaddeus of Warsaw", Jane Porter.
- I tell you, madam, we are determined to have our independence if we fight till we die." - "A Woman's Life-Work Labors and Experiences", Laura S. Haviland.
- The family did not venture to press the post upon me personally, knowing my love of freedom and independence. - "Autobiography of Friedrich Froebel", Friedrich Froebel.