Definition of individual :
1. A single person, animal, or thing of any kind; a thing or being incapable of separation or division, without losing its identity; especially, a human being; a person.
2. An independent, or partially independent, zooid of a compound animal.
3. Not divided, or not to be divided; existing as one entity, or distinct being or object; single; one; as, an individual man, animal, or city.
4. Of or pertaining to one only; peculiar to, or characteristic of, a single person or thing; distinctive; as, individual traits of character; individual exertions; individual peculiarities.
5. The product of a single egg, whether it remains a single animal or becomes compound by budding or fission.
single (part of speech: adjective)
separate (part of speech: verb)
fragmentary, detached, disaffiliated, alienated, disassembled, sundered, dissociated, distinctive, disjoint, distinct, collective, separate, unrelated, unaffiliated, especial, disconnected, secluded, alone, reserved, indivisible, severed, public, unglued, proper, disintegrated, own, independent, autonomous, select, original
special (part of speech: adjective)
subjective (part of speech: adjective)
unusual (part of speech: adjective)
- We place the individual in the class because the proposition is true; the proposition is not true because the object is placed in the class. - "A System Of Logic, Ratiocinative And Inductive (Vol. 1 of 2)", John Stuart Mill.
- Each individual stands on his or her own two feet and makes an effort at least to go where he or she will find the most happiness. - "Happiness and Marriage", Elizabeth (Jones) Towne.
- He should point to each individual and say, 'Thou art the man. - "Humanly Speaking", Samuel McChord Crothers.