Definition of inquire :
1. To ask a question; to seek for truth or information by putting queries.
2. To ask about; to seek to know by asking; to make examination or inquiry respecting.
3. To call, or name.
4. To seek to learn anything by recourse to the proper means of knoledge; to make examination.
need, study, involve, research, require, put to, necessitate, look, put someone on the spot, call for, interview, take, wonder, expect, scout, dig, pick someone's brains, reconnoiter, enquire, marvel, look into, analyze, postulate
question (part of speech: verb)
request (part of speech: verb)
- May I venture to inquire what you now propose to do?" - "My Lady of the North", Randall Parrish.
- He did not inquire after her health, but stood for a moment, thoughtfully regarding her. - "Mabel's Mistake", Ann S. Stephens.
- He was afraid Pietro would remember his old violin, and, seeing the difference in the instrument he now had, inquire how he got it. - "Phil the Fiddler", Horatio Alger, Jr..