Definition of insect:
- Any air- breathing arthropod, as a spider or scorpion.
- Any small crustacean. In a wider sense, the word is often loosely applied to various small invertebrates.
- Fig.: Any small, trivial, or contemptible person or thing.
- Like an insect; small; mean; ephemeral.
- Of or pertaining to an insect or insects.
- One of the Insecta; esp., one of the Hexapoda. See Insecta.
bristletail, butterfly, plant bug, beast of burden, bedbug, caddis fly, nothing, twerp, dirt ball, honeybee, zilch, plant louse, corn borer, mantis, arachnid, arthropod, yellow jacket, ant lion, May fly, number, scarab, moth, ichneumon fly, darning needle, millipede, leaf insect, adult, bee, whippersnapper, scale insect, alder fly, seventeen-year locust, earwig, sawfly, bird louse, bumblebee, zero, cootie, dragonfly, thrips, silverfish, daddy-longlegs, worm, walking stick, shrimp, dwarf, ant, bear, springtail, nonentity, biped, big game, pygmy, aphid, scorpion fly, half-pint, mealy wing, wasp, sucking louse, Japanese beetle, true fly, cicada, katydid, morsel, cipher, centipede, arachnid, mite, hornet, insignificancy, flea, cricket, boll weevil, biting louse, pest, beetle, nullity, stone fly, grasshopper, louse, stinkbug, snippersnapper, termite, gnat, potato bug, pip-squeak, caterpillar, firefly, lacewing, cockroach, lightweight, fly.
- "The Way of Ambition", Robert Hichens.
- "The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle", Hugh Lofting.
- "The Raid on the Termites", Paul Ernst.