Definition of insolvent:
- Not solvent; not having sufficient estate to pay one's debts; unable to pay one's debts as they fall due, in the ordinary course of trade and business; as, in insolvent debtor.
- Not sufficient to pay all the debts of the owner; as, an insolvent estate.
- One who is insolvent; as insolvent debtor; - in England, before 1861, especially applied to persons not traders.
- Relating to persons unable to pay their debts.
in receivership, back, in a hole, busted, poor, broke, in the hands of receivers, wiped out, bailiff, in the red, unbalanced, debtor, out of credit, indebted, ruined, flat, on the rocks, out of funds, red ink, debt-ridden, broken, in default, done for, out of money, bankrupt, liable, gone to the wall, failed, overdrawn, delinquent, in chapter XI, sent to the cleaners, foreclosed.
- "The Grafters", Francis Lynde.
- "Ellen Middleton--A Tale", Georgiana Fullerton.
- "The Petty Troubles of Married Life, Complete", Honore de Balzac.