Definition of instance:
- A token; a sign; a symptom or indication.
- Occasion; order of occurrence.
- That which is instant or urgent; motive.
- That which offers itself or is offered as an illustrative case; something cited in proof or exemplification; a case occurring; an example.
- The act or quality of being instant or pressing; urgency; solicitation; application; suggestion; motion.
- To give an example.
- To mention as a case or example; to refer to; to cite; as, to instance a fact.
exercise, good example, precedent, congressman, representative, suit, shell, typeface, object lesson, casing, lesson, display case, continue, character, lawsuit, antecedent, sheath, spokesperson, action, pillow slip, obiter dictum, voice, authority, exemplar, exemplify, guinea pig, fount, pressing, typesetter's case, eccentric, insistence, deterrent example, represent, face, illustrate, occurrence, example, cause, compositor's case, congresswoman, law, type, vitrine, showcase, study at example, causa, case, illustration, seek, subject, grammatical case, font, slip, pillowcase, insistency, caseful, situation, exemplification, warrant, pattern, interpreter, substitute, event.
- "A Grammar of Freethought", Chapman Cohen.
- "The Black Bar", George Manville Fenn.
- "Orley Farm", Anthony Trollope.