Definition of insure:
- Specifically, to secure against a loss by a contingent event, on certain stipulated conditions, or at a given rate or premium; to give or to take an insurance on or for; as, a merchant insures his ship or its cargo, or both, against the dangers of the sea; goods and buildings are insured against fire or water; persons are insured against sickness, accident, or death; and sometimes hazardous debts are insured.
- To make sure or secure; as, to insure safety to any one.
- To underwrite; to make insurance; as, a company insures at three per cent.
figure, hatch, subvention, fix, view, hide, tick off, hear, see to it, traverse, take in, compensate, go through, breed, determine, manipulate, master, interpret, go over, reckon, overlay, watch, check off, examine, curb, arrest, consider, fasten, discover, learn, plow, come across, jibe, reassure, extend, hold, checker, tally, condition, continue, ascertain, meet, correspond, overcompensate, match, crack, stop up, ensure, check into, cinch, undertake, enshroud, envision, date, get across, find, delay, track, see, plug, operate, address, check up on, mark, realize, visualise, hold in, run across, get wind, look, incubate, check, spread over, batten, construe, protect, take care, retard, assure, keep in line, discipline, secure, contain, gibe, get over, pass over, realise, verify, cover up, cut across, tick, cut through, cross, subvent, moderate, comprehend, go steady, regard, image, report, picture, visit, batten down, embrace, handle, treat, witness, look into, encounter, understand, get word, control, catch, underwrite, procure, turn back, stop, project, hold back, find out, visualize, deal, attend, experience, check out, escort, mark off, shroud, tell, suss out, wrap up, get a line, cover, check over, fit, certain, brood, pick up, chequer, encompass, agree, guarantee, break, run into, train, go out, command, fancy.
- "Sally Dows and Other Stories", Bret Harte.
- "Home Life in Germany", Mrs. Alfred Sidgwick.
- "Community Civics and Rural Life", Arthur W. Dunn.