Definition of insure :
1. Specifically, to secure against a loss by a contingent event, on certain stipulated conditions, or at a given rate or premium; to give or to take an insurance on or for; as, a merchant insures his ship or its cargo, or both, against the dangers of the sea; goods and buildings are insured against fire or water; persons are insured against sickness, accident, or death; and sometimes hazardous debts are insured.
2. To make sure or secure; as, to insure safety to any one.
3. To underwrite; to make insurance; as, a company insures at three per cent.
encounter, realize, extend, get a line, address, subvent, project, hold back, enshroud, keep in line, master, check out, match, command, fancy, chequer, embrace, stop up, checker, continue, go out, find, retard, verify, shroud, deal, view, hide, stop, envision, suss out, visit, image, plug, agree, delay, moderate, examine, fasten, determine, experience, condition, cut across, spread over, control, get word, get over, consider, wrap up, jibe, operate, hold, take in, encompass, hear, breed, traverse, get wind, manipulate, date, find out, report, run across, discipline, see to it, tally, fix, contain, visualise, reassure, pass over, batten, learn, understand, take care, train, tell, cinch, reckon, check up on, gibe, check into, look into, go over, undertake, plow, curb, overlay, come across, tick off, incubate, turn back, attend, run into, cover, see, track, escort, underwrite, cross, cut through, watch, realise, overcompensate, protect, crack, get across, check, go through, treat, cover up, go steady, comprehend, mark off, figure, meet, regard, arrest, check over, correspond, construe, picture, catch, procure, handle, brood, witness, break, certain, ascertain, compensate, interpret, look, mark, visualize, discover, hold in, pick up, check off, tick, hatch, fit, subvention, batten down
guarantee (part of speech: verb)
- But how will this insure Cato's safety hereafter, or give protection to the others? - "Sally Dows and Other Stories", Bret Harte.
- If a girl marries she may cease to insure, and may have a sum of money towards her outfit. - "Home Life in Germany", Mrs. Alfred Sidgwick.
- A usual provision of the laws under which these cooperative companies operate is that no member may insure his property for its full value. - "Community Civics and Rural Life", Arthur W. Dunn.