Definition of interpret:
- To act as an interpreter.
- To apprehend and represent by means of art; to show by illustrative representation; as, an actor interprets the character of Hamlet; a musician interprets a sonata; an artist interprets a landscape.
- To explain or tell the meaning of; to expound; to translate orally into intelligible or familiar language or terms; to decipher; to define; -- applied esp. to language, but also to dreams, signs, conduct, mysteries, etc.; as, to interpret the Hebrew language to an Englishman; to interpret an Indian speech.
furnish, map, stand for, be, watch, empathize, encounter, envision, exemplify, control, advise, deliver, take care, fork over, go out, look, ascertain, supply, study, evaluate, come across, experience, give, attend, check, construe, hand over, run into, understand, performing arts, determine, go steady, sympathise, rede, realise, project, execute, see to it, hear, infer, assure, view, get wind, discover, take, visualise, enucleate, turn in, catch, show, scan, correspond, stage, mimic, examine, constitute, make of, counsel, sympathize, find out, depict, get a line, typify, ensure, play, delineate, say, take in, go through, figure, generate, enact, record, expound, present, portray, picture, explicate, fancy, describe, visualize, spell out, see, realize, pick up, lay out, empathise, provide, submit, fork up, image, reckon, read, symbolize, perform, act, symbolise, consider, escort, render, witness, run across, regard, get word, yield, insure, visit, try, date, find, register, learn, transform, meet, return, represent, define, comprise, fork out, defend, enucleate, make up, translate.
- "Home Again", George MacDonald.
- "The Heart of Unaga", Ridgwell Cullum.
- "Richard Carvel, Complete", Winston Churchill Last Updated: March 5, 2009.