Definition of intervene:
- A coming between; intervention; meeting.
- In a suit to which one has not been made a party, to put forward a defense of one's interest in the subject matter.
- To come between, or to be between, persons or things; - followed by between; as, the Mediterranean intervenes between Europe and Africa.
- To come between.
- To interpose; as, to intervene to settle a quarrel.
- To occur, fall, or come between, points of time, or events; as, an instant intervened between the flash and the report; nothing intervened ( i. e., between the intention and the execution) to prevent the undertaking.
shut off, elapse, involve, interrupt, get in on, interject, kill, engage in, step-in, slip by, jump in, intermediate, interfere, interpose, go by, participate, chime in, cut into, do, enter into, join, tick away, throw in, break in, come between, squeeze out, creep by, cut someone short, shout out, interfere with, come in, put in, intrude, occur, passing, cut in, meddle, suppress, the passage of time, hold back, substitute, deputize, stamp out, happen, join in, take part (in something), sit in on, wear on, inject, kill off, time flies, deputise.
- "The Art of Public Speaking", Dale Carnagey (AKA Dale Carnegie) and J. Berg Esenwein.
- "Christina", L. G. Moberly.
- "Memories of Bethany", John Ross Macduff.