Definition of intimidating:
ghastly, redoubtable, horrible, shocking, formidable, dreadful, rugged, fierce, fearsome, daunting, gruff, frightful, dour, spine-chilling, discouraging, awesome, hair-raising, severe, austere, horrendous, dire, steely, stark, stern, terrible, lowering, ungentle, flinty, menacing, eerie, dread, forbidding, rough, spooky, direful.
- compelling (part of speech: verb)
- frightening (part of speech: verb)
- threatening (part of speech: verb)
- dissuading (part of speech: verb)
In the profound stillness of the cloister, that the sound of the street could not reach, the " companion" Luna thought he heard far off, very far off, the shrill sound of a trumpet and the muffled roll of drums, then he remembered the Alcazar of Toledo, dominating the Cathedral from its height, intimidating it with the enormous mass of its towers; they were the drums and trumpets of the Military Academy.- "The Shadow of the Cathedral", Vicente Blasco Ibaņez.
- "Richard Carvel, Volume 5", Winston Churchill.
- "The Jervaise Comedy", J. D. Beresford.