Definition of irritant :
1. A poison that produces inflammation.
2. Any agent by which irritation is produced; as, a chemical irritant; a mechanical or electrical irritant.
3. Irritating; producing irritation or inflammation.
4. Rendering null and void; conditionally invalidating.
5. That which irritates or excites.
spine, irk, allergic, prickle, burden, antigen, aggravation, frustration, headache, drag, besetment, rub, bugbear, hypoallergenic, intolerance, plague, aggro, allergy, anaphylactic shock, trouble, spikelet, nuisance, pest, trial, ruffle, inconvenience, hypersensitive, annoyance, feelings, pain, anaphylaxis, vexation, allergen, peeve, joke, irritation, exasperation, intolerant, menace, calamity, botheration, hassle, sticker, thorn, hair shirt, torment, bother, pricker
- The kinds in ordinary use are: 1. Mustard poultice, used as a counter irritant. - "Ontario Teachers' Manuals: Household Management", Ministry of Education.
- It gives rise to symptoms of irritant poisoning, vomiting, purging, dilated pupils, convulsions, followed by insensibility, coma, and death. - "Aids to Forensic Medicine and Toxicology", W. G. Aitchison Robertson.
- " I'll see, after a while," said Varney, hastily lighting a pipe as counter- irritant. - "Captivating Mary Carstairs", Henry Sydnor Harrison.